“Thoroughly Enjoyed!”

Dos Rios Cantina and Tequila Lounge
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, American, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Thoroughly Enjoyed!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We ate lunch here on a sunny Friday in April while traveling through Des Moines. The parking was ample. We sat outside and it was plenty busy. The chips are awesome. The only complaint I had was when we sat down our waiter asked "Would you like Guac or Salsa?" Being my guy doesn't like guac, we chose the Salsa. Had I known they made it table side we would have ordered both. Everything was fresh and tasty. I can remember when urban Des Moines was in a very lonely state. Loved this area! We also saw a large room in the back that looked like it was for private parties. It was a very nice space.

• Visited April 2014

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great mexican food”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Dos Rios is gourmet Mexican food but don't let that scare you. You won't find the smothered- in- cheese burritos that you get at the chain Mexican places but if you like Mexican food , you will love Dos Rios.
Try the table-side guacamole, made the way you like it ....smooth or lumpy, mild or hot. It's delicious. Nice atmosphere and when the weather permits, the outside sidewalk seating area is a wonderful spot to enjoy dinner or drinks and appetizers.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Marla N
Clive, Iowa
“Dos Rios Mexican Resturant”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Dos Rios is a great place for up-scale Mexican. The food was good and the place has lots of seating. My favorite part of Dos Rios was how they made the guacamole right at your table if you wanted it. Dos Rios is a great place to go in Des Moines for Mexican!

Des Moines, Iowa
“Overpriced but nice atmosphere”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Inside looks more like upscale restaurant than Mexican. Food is more authentic than Tex-Mex. I thought it was tasty and I liked the homemade chips. I expected house salsa and was surprised when that was not part of the chip deal. Did try the table side guac and it was good and very fresh. Portion size of meals was very good, but I felt prices were high. Staff was friendly and helpful in explaining menu items. Would be a good date night place, but not so kid friendly.
They make a killer breakfast bowl during the summer that I LOVE. The salsa for that is the bomb!!

• Visited February 2014
Ames, Iowa
“Pretty good southwest cuisine in Des Moines”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I hesitated to give Dos Rios four stars because it does not immediately stand out as a very good restaurant. My wife and I had a Saturday lunch at the restaurant and the food was good, but nothing to scream about. We were seated and the waiter took our order, then we waited 25 minutes and served our entree. They had forgotten about the appetizer we had ordered and the meat in our tacos was lukewarm at best. But then something good happened. The manager who had ended up serving our entrees apologized, gave us our appetizer "on the house". The waiter apologized three different times and explained that he has been working double shifts for the last few days because of a tournament in town. The food was very good and the sauces are excellent. The table side Guacamole bar looked amazing and they have a really good menu selection.
We will give this restaurant another chance and I think our experience will be much better.

• Visited February 2014