“With Caution”

Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“With Caution”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed here on a Thursday evening, luckily with a friend, not a place I would have stayed alone. The room was spacious, included a refrigerator, coffeemaker and tv. The air conditioning unit was located under the window and was broke, it couldn't be adjusted as to temperature. Our room had not been vacuumed, so I asked to have the room vacuumed. A girl brought the vacuum and walked away! Seriously, I had to vacuum our room. There was a bunch of what looked like crushed crackers on the floor. The floor also sloped toward the bathroom and there was a step up at the bathroom door. The bathtub was not something I would stand in, let alone sit in, so we used towels on the bottom of it so we could shower. The size itself was ok, the beds were comfortable, but the room could use a paint job. They did offer a large breakfast complete with biscuits and gravy, but we weren't told upon check in, we happened upon it looking for ice in the morning. I appreciated the fact that there was both an inside and outside entrance so that if a fire started, we had a easy way out. The building needs many repairs and as part of the Choice Hotel Chain, it isn't even close to the standards I've seen in other Choice Hotels. The best benefit was it was cheap, that is all I would say. I wouldn't stay alone, but traveling with people made it tolerable. Choose something else, would be my recommendation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LEnge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I would not be surprise if this building collapses on itself. The floors are uneven. Our room was not cleaned when we arrived. The bedding was tossed across the room. There was a hole in the ceiling. The bath tub felt as if you could fall through it.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pollyt3

Travelers are raving about these Des Moines hotels

Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I presume that the hotel was probably built in the 1960's so it's showing its age but I had a very pleasant stay. Some people are freaked out by the fact that the rooms have both an indoor and an outdoor exit. That's certainly a safer design than a single exit in case of a fire or emergency so I liked it. It also makes it convenient for getting to the lobby or breakfast room if the weather is inclement (which it was for me). Many hotels in this price range are going to be motels with only exterior exits and no interior connection to the lobby.

I found many other good things during my stay:
Spacious room
Solid construction with thick plaster walls
Lots of unexpected perks considering the low price: iron & ironing board, alarm clock, 2 suitcase stands, large desk with good lighting, fast internet, coffee maker, large TV, quiet window A/C with sensitive controls, comfortable bed, very friendly front desk staff at check-in and check-out.
Hot breakfast which I certainly didn't expect to get at a Rodeway Inn at this price.

One truly standout perk was that the bathroom lighting was phenomenal. The lights were so numerous and bright that it was very easy to shave. I'd have to say the bathroom lighting and layout was in the top 5% of the hotels I've stayed at, regardless of price.

Minor downsides:
Some highway and train noise
Neighboring house had a barking dog but it shut up after dark

I agree with the other reviewer who said there's a difference between 'old' and 'dirty'. This place is dated, but not dirty. I'd readily stay there again considering the price.

This was certainly at the top end of the typical Rodeway Inn product line.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
scipio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Even a "bargain" hotel should be clean!! We wouldn't even walk around without our sock or shoes on. Big weird step at doorway upon entering our 2nd floor room. Very small words on door warning of this step. My husband nearly fell handling our suitcases and this badly placed step. Remote would not turn on TV, carpet filthy, couch stained and disgusting, found dead fly in sheets on bed. Needs bulldozed down and condemned. Everything was so outdated, worn out, and smelly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Muskogee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked this hotel for 3 days to visit family in IA. I was on a budget so I figured this hotel would do. As I pulled up the exterior looked pretty rough and my girlfriend started to check reviews online. Most of the reviews rated this hotel poor but I figured I'd give it a chance and see how the lobby was laid out. The poor reviews about the breakfast were what was the tipping point for my girlfriend. The lobby reeked of old hotel smell and everything was so outdated. It made me wonder for the safety of my girlfriend and I. We ended up canceling and grabbed a room for the next 3 days in Ankeny, IA which was a few miles up the road.

Room Tip: Stay away! Other hotels in the area that are a lot nicer for a few bucks more.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Elroy, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

On a road trip with the family and wanted to save a few bucks. Was a great reminder that you get what you pay for. Room was more of less acceptable, but with both an outside and interior exit it felt anything but secure. Door frames looked as if they have held dozens of different security devices over the years. There are no connecting rooms at this hotel, so was not up to par for traveling with children. Took a look at the breakfast offered and didn't bother to eat anything. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was staying on the top floor and could literally feel the floor "squishing" beneath my feet. It felt like I was going to punch right through the floor. I think it had rotted away. I did not take my shoes off to walk around the room and felt nervous all night. I stay in hotels for at lest 4 months out of the year, so I see a lot. This was beyond anything I had ever experienced. I am suprised that it hasn't been condemned.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#26 of 49 in Des Moines
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston

Been to Rodeway Inn Des Moines? Share your experiences!