“Still having nightmares from this place...”

American Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
scipio
“Still having nightmares from this place...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Even a "bargain" hotel should be clean!! We wouldn't even walk around without our sock or shoes on. Big weird step at doorway upon entering our 2nd floor room. Very small words on door warning of this step. My husband nearly fell handling our suitcases and this badly placed step. Remote would not turn on TV, carpet filthy, couch stained and disgusting, found dead fly in sheets on bed. Needs bulldozed down and condemned. Everything was so outdated, worn out, and smelly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Muskogee, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Booked this hotel for 3 days to visit family in IA. I was on a budget so I figured this hotel would do. As I pulled up the exterior looked pretty rough and my girlfriend started to check reviews online. Most of the reviews rated this hotel poor but I figured I'd give it a chance and see how the lobby was laid out. The poor reviews about the breakfast were what was the tipping point for my girlfriend. The lobby reeked of old hotel smell and everything was so outdated. It made me wonder for the safety of my girlfriend and I. We ended up canceling and grabbed a room for the next 3 days in Ankeny, IA which was a few miles up the road.

Room Tip: Stay away! Other hotels in the area that are a lot nicer for a few bucks more.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Des Moines hotels

Elroy, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 26, 2013

On a road trip with the family and wanted to save a few bucks. Was a great reminder that you get what you pay for. Room was more of less acceptable, but with both an outside and interior exit it felt anything but secure. Door frames looked as if they have held dozens of different security devices over the years. There are no connecting rooms at this hotel, so was not up to par for traveling with children. Took a look at the breakfast offered and didn't bother to eat anything. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was staying on the top floor and could literally feel the floor "squishing" beneath my feet. It felt like I was going to punch right through the floor. I think it had rotted away. I did not take my shoes off to walk around the room and felt nervous all night. I stay in hotels for at lest 4 months out of the year, so I see a lot. This was beyond anything I had ever experienced. I am suprised that it hasn't been condemned.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 1971hs
Centerville, Iowa, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel was absolutely horrendous. I booked it because I figured I'd save a few bucks and it was a Choice Hotel, I didn't read any reviews. I pulled up and immediately started getting worried. Checked in, went to inspect the room, was just awful. Everything was awful. Like, it wasn't overrun with sewage, but might as well of been. I stayed for about 20 minutes to book a hotel stay at another hotel in town (Econolodge on Merle Hay).

The door locks facing the outside weren't working properly, refridgerator was dirty, just, I can't even list it all.

Due to it being a non-refund, ended up eating the money I spent to book it, but I just wasn't going to risk it to stay there. They ended up charging me an extra $58 at check out. So, I spent more on this POS than I did at the hotel I usually stayed at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This motel does meet my basic needs, clean bed and hot water. It also had a bunch of stuff I don't use ... hair dryer, fridge, coffee maker, TV and breakfast. It is an old motel, it shows more in the halls than in the room.

As I write this review, Trip Advisor now displays some prior reviews next to where I type, my reply to those is ... This is a 'Rodeway Inn,' even their website says "Rodeway Inn is the perfect brand when traveling on a budget." 'Budget' is another way for saying this is not your top end motel. To me, there is a difference between 'dirty' and 'old,' I did not find anything 'dirty' in my stay at this motel.

... and I found this motel pretty much in line with their other Rodeway/Ecno line of motels.

Check-in staff was friendly as was the checkout staff.

Tonight this motel was the same price as the Motel 6 next door and I'm not a fan of the beds at the '6.

Unless someplace close is $10 plus dollars less, I'll be back.

This was my first night on the road in over a year so I forgot to bring my camera with, so no photo's on this one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim-OnTheWayHome
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Even the bed bugs would not stay here. We went in to our room and decided there was no possible way we could stay there. It was filthy, mattresses were torn, doors did not lock. The carpet had a film on it. The sleeper sofa was so filthy and torn up I doubt the Goodwill would even take it. Avoid this hotel!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
#31 of 48 in Des Moines
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Altoona

Been to American Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!