“Nothing fancy but fine”

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
iowa
“Nothing fancy but fine”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here for business in July 2013. The hotel has been around for awhile and it is easy to tell that but there has been some redecorating and it was fine for my needs. I used the fitness center which is small but the elliptical worked. I never heard a peep from any of the other rooms. I ate dinner in the restaurant and had the complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning. Both were perfectly fine. The front desk was helpful. The hotel is very convenient to downtown, the capitol area and right by the Iowa Events Center. I had a very nice view of the state capitol. The only things I would have liked is a refrigerator and they are only available in some of the rooms. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a capitol view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel was clean and front desk staff was courteous. Nice size pool and restaurant was also decent if you really did not want to or could not leave. Continental breakfast was awesome the first day, but on Sunday 7/28 there were signs all over stating there was a "problem" in the kitchen and breakfast would be delayed. What they prepared on Sunday was not as good as Saturday, but I understand "problems" sometime happen. Overall good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Regina W
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Room was overpriced for the condition of the rooms and hotel - but, when you want to stay in downtown Des Moines and right next to the Wells Fargo arena for a a concert - you're paying for location, not luxury accommodations. The location is perfect if you're attending anything at the arena, Hy Vee hall, any of those venues. Literally a one block walk to enter Wells Fargo arena and you can leave your car parked at the hotel and not deal with getting in and out before and after a big concert. If I ever attend another concert there, I will be staying at this hotel again.

There was a line to check in (everyone checking in was going to the same concert we were.) The manager blamed the back up on their computer system being overloaded and crashing. When I finally got up to the desk, it worked fine for my transaction. I got the king bed room (more expensive) but did get a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The room was okay - nothing special. There is a complimentary buffet breakfast - standard hotel breakfast fare, but it comes with the room.

Overall this hotel was good for what we needed it for. I did manage to get a room facing to the east which had a nice view of the river and the Capitol building.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here in May for an conference I was attending. I had a suite and it was adequate. The hotel is a older and dated, but my room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I have two main issues with this hotel.

1. The breakfast area is horribly maintained. It has a nice view, but the people working there don't care about cleanliness. We were not the only group staying in the hotel that weekend, and the hotel was fairly crowded. The one woman working in the breakfast area just sat there and watched as the food got low and was never replenished, and didn't move when the one trash bag filled with plates. It got so bad that the trash spilled on the floor. You could smell the food that had sat in the trash for hours..it was disgusting. I went to her and told her that there was trash and food all over the floor so someone could come and get it. She never said okay or thank you or I'll get on it. She just gave me this nasty look like "b**ch, okay", and kept it moving. Really? The breakfast isn't even that great. As crowded as the hotel was that weekend you'd think they'd have more than one person working in the breakfast room. I imagine she was overwhelmed, but that's no excuse for trash and food all over the floor.

2. Watch your bill when you check out. The front desk management tried to overcharge my group although we paid for several rooms in advance and in full. They tried to charge us two and three times and got really ugly when we tried to get it resolved. If this is how they treat people who reserve over 30 rooms in their hotel I can only imagine what someone staying overnight goes through.

I feel like the bad experiences that I had and that other people in our group had is partly my fault - I picked this hotel for our room block based on price and location. Next year when we have our conference I will pick another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Little Falls, MN
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Reservations were made for us by the team's coach and while it was close to where the team was competing, it was obvious that upkeep is not a priority here. There was an ugly stain on the ceiling tile, cigarette burns on the bathtub and kleenex dispenser, stains on the hallway carpet, no fridges, no microwaves available to guests. When I opened the desk drawer, there were receipts and paperwork from the previous guests that had not been cleaned out out by the housekeeping staff. With a proper checklist system, that doesn't happen. On the plus side, the front desk staff, the breakfast staff were all very friendly & professional. If I were to ever return to Des Moines, however, this would not be my choice of lodging.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dell Rapids, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The reason for this rating is the customer service. There is none from management!! We checked in, weren't given tickets for free breakfast, couldn't make coffee in morning bcause coffee pot wasn't for coffee maker, 2 lights in the room didn't work, had to have maintance come up and help with TV and accidentally left a watch and credit card in room when we checked out. We did get charged for someone smoking in room and management did charge us. If no one smoked in room we would be given back some of the money. I told the manager about the things that were wrong with our room. While trying to get ready for concert, she called 3 times about the breakfast tickets and who was working. No one contacted us about the watch and credit card, but I had to contact them. No credit card found but yes watch was there. This took 3 phone calls made by me. I have tried to contact the manager about the refund on the smoking and no return phone calls. My credit card company also called and no return phone call. The manager was very interested in finding out which staff member did not give us the breakfast tickets (hope she still has her job) but does not want to talk to us about anyother issue. There is a holiday inn close to the event center and I would recommend staying there. The room was clean but they are old. I am not being vindictive about the smoking charge, but one never knows if there will ever be any problems. The management will not help you if it does not directly involve one of their staff. I read some reviews on the website for quality inns and this seems to be a general problem around the country. I recommend staying anywhere else if at all possible while attending events at the event center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie W
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here four nights while playing in the State Pool Tournament at the Event Center. Friendly, helpful staff that helped us find our way around Des Moines. Located right on I235 so if you have a car you can easily get on I-235 West to get to Walmart, etc. Foot bridge close by to cross river over to Capital Building if you'd like.
We totally enjoyed our stay and the amenities: Free parking, free hot breakfast, free wi-fi, close to event center, clean rooms. Our room had fridge and microwave at a small extra charge. Coffee and hot water always available in lobby. We didn't use the pool but it looked large, clean and inviting. There is no hot tub. Rooms very comfortable for the price. We were located down the hall on the 7th floor. It was very quiet. Food at the hotel restaurant Governor's Lodge was very tasty and fairly priced. During peak hours be prepared to use the stairs as this location only has two small elevators. We have already booked for next year!

Room Tip: Ask for third floor room so you can use the stairs to avoid waits for elevator, also use second floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends