“Convenient, accommodating downtown hotel”

Quality Inn & Suites Event Center
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Ames, Iowa
“Convenient, accommodating downtown hotel”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel was much better than expected! Great value. Good bed. Good linens. Clean. Very convenient to convention center - Wells Fargo Arena, Vets Auditorium, HyVee Hall. Only 1/2 block from skywalk. Free parking. Free breakfast. All for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank KPMcK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tipton, Iowa
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We recently went to an Alan Jackson concert and decided to stay overnight instead of traveling back to our home. The location of this motel can't be beat, we walked to the concert and the restaurant downtown. The room was very nice, comfy bed and the view we had was of the river. The front staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary_ONE_12
Burlington, IA
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The trouble with five definitive marks is that there's always an exception that requires "half steps"...this is the exception. Very good in that it has a nice breakfast, pool, parking, general layout is fine. Good in that the rooms are small, bathroom very small, bedding & mattresses- while seemingly new and promoted with in-room cards as "the best night's sleep"- did not live up to the hype. Beds and linens (incl. bathroom) were budget friendly at best. No micro or refrigerator in our room, either. Note to Quality Inn & Choice Hotels: some budget hotels are now including these. Our room was clean, staff friendly and eager to please. I echo comments about noise, though- outside road noise and hallway noise were prevalent. And, as is the curse of many a hotel room these days, the HVAC fan is either "on" or "off"- I prefer constant on low for background noise and maintaining a steady room temperature.

Room Tip: check in at ground level, park at level two; fast elevators, though
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank readittoday
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had two night stay for state convention at this aging but redecorated property. They are trying --BUT in our room the adhesive smell from the new rug installation was over-whelming and the windows do not open.The two pictures in the room are exactly the same(what is that!) There was no faucet aereator and the old sink counter-top(the original?) was stained over the years, though the shower/tub linings had been replaced. The hot water was scalding, dangerously so. The mattress needed to be turned or replaced and the pillows were simply unacceptable.The soft water made the tub very slippery and there was no bath mat.
Inadequate electrical sockets for our numerous electrical needs and the desk top lamp which did have a socket was broken.
On the positive, the over-all renovation is pleasing, room decor pleasant, but one wonders who exactly is responsible for making the decisions, inspecting the property and and why the work done was not more thorough.
Breakfast included was typical and adequate, but ends at 9:00AM--maybe that is common for the midwest. Housekeeping was thorough and the room cleaned well each day, but it is odd to see used rooms all left open and large piles of linens and towels filling the hallways upon our departure about 10:30. But it also explained the incessant door knocking up and down the hallway earlier that morning.
This is an older family owned, small Iowa chain, which needs some expertise from outside consultants to bring the service and property and management to a higher performance level. It is good enough, but could be way better.
The location in downtown is excellent.

Room Tip: There is a large thoroughfare on one side of the building and if traffic noise an issue,though the w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sterling, Illinois
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Two seperate people were wanting to stay at the hotel due to the hotel in which we was staying in for a conference was all booked for the night before. I figured this hotel would be good because it is so close to the other one and pretty inexpensive. When I called to make a reservations the guy that answered told me that he was on lunch and that he would take my number and call me back. I said I was at work and that wouldn't be possible and he said to call back in ten minutes. Really??? Then I called back in ten minutes and a lady answered, I said I wanted to make a reservation and she said to hold and then the phone went silent. I assume she was transferring me somewhere?? After sitting there for 5 minutes in silence I hung up. Ridiculous! Very poor service. They just lost business for a total of two people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my second stay at this particular hotel, and each time I've found it to be the best value of available options. There are certainly more expensive hotels nearby, but this location adjacent to the Iowa Events Center is hard to beat. Cheaper options lack the amenities of this full-service hotel. I'd stay here again, and likely will next time I'm in Des Moines.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night in August and was pleased with our experience. We were passing through on a long cross-country road trip and stopped in and they had a few rooms available and it was very cheap (especially with AAA discount). We got to our room and it smelt extremely bad and you can't open the windows at all to let some air in. I called the front desk immediately and without hesitation they switched our room and offered assistance moving our luggage. The second room was much much better, maybe a hint of bad "body odor" smell to it, but very bearable. The air conditioner worked perfectly, but the shower water temperature takes forever to change. When you turn the water to hot, it will seem as if there isnt hot water, then several minutes later the water will be steaming hot and vice versa. Also, bring your own soap because both my girlfriend and I used the bar soap provided and it makes your hands feel slimy and you can't wash it off no matter how hard you try.

We ate dinner at their restaurant which closes at 10pm on weekdays and we had great service. Just a few people in the restaurant and our waiter (older guy) was extremely nice and helpful, and the food was fantastic. For breakfast, which ends at 9am, they have a great selection and the food was great there as well. I highly recommend this hotel to people traveling through, just don't expect perfection in your room. Hotel staff is very friendly and attenitive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple