“Worth a stop”

State Historical Museum
Ranked #11 of 72 things to do in Des Moines
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The building stands almost in the shadow of the state Capitol. Fascinating look at the history of the state from the native Indian days through territorial status and eventual admission as the 29th state of the union. Great exhibits and loads of great information. Suggest you allow half a day here. We spent over 2 hours and wished we had more time. Admission is free.

1  Thank Frenchguy48
There are newer reviews for State Historical Museum

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were looking for place to waste some time before driving home to Omaha and found out this place was free. Perfect! I have to say that I am a history buff and love museums (and it was totally hot that day, so I wanted to be indoors), but I found this place very interesting and learned a lot I didn't know about Iowa and the Midwest before. There's so many great pieces to see, like a fantastic Civil War exhibit with uniforms and weapons, etc. and lots of pioneer stuff too. And lots to read. I really enjoyed this museum a lot!

1  Thank FootballFangirl
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very big and nice museum with tons of informatio and all free! (by donation so do donate something!)

1  Thank wearetheones
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The staff inside the library were very helpful. The museum was okay but not someplace I would go again.

2  Thank EJRTRIP
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Nice, free museum. Large exhibit on the Civil War that was impressive. Also cool to see Teddy Roosevelt's rocking chair, and the lock of George Washington's hair.

1  Thank jaywalker17