“Good stay”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This property is across the street from the State Fairgrounds - where I was attending an event. This is a pain and simple motel type lodging. I found the room and facility clean and neat with friendly staff. The breakfast leaves a LOT to be desired. Anything more than juice and coffee was poor quality. There are some eateries within walking distance (diner and bar/grill) but most of the chain type restaurants are a few miles to drive to...

Room Tip: Rooms facing East are toward the racetrack - if there's a race on...you'll hear it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had 2 suites for 1 night for a wedding we were attending at the fairgrounds which were located directly across the street. The rooms were clean, spacious, and well worth the price paid. I was happy with the service and it included continental "hot" breakfast which was great.

Room Tip: we got a suite for $10 more and it was nearly 2X the size of the normal rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mokenkad
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I hope you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Paid 200.00 for a room I was told I never had. I made a reservation 1 year in advance and they made me put my reservation in seperate names. Who does that? Then when I called 10 months later they told me I only had one room only to find out after the first night of our stay that I had two rooms and I had been charged for the empty room full price and they would not refund me a penny. Very poor management and high priced for a low end hotel. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Emily R
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I'm sorry that you feel it necessary to post this kind of review. when the problem was that YOU made two reservations in two seperate names and paid for the two rooms and then YOU forgot. At which time you wanted us to take responsiblility for your not checking into the second room. You felt like we should have told you that we had mulitple rooms for individuals with the same last name and that is against our safety policies. We also provided you with mulitple confirmations. So I do apologize for any confusion.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'm in Des Moines twice per month for work and I stayed here on July 29th. It is on a busy road however my room was 3rd floor rear and I never heard a thing. The hotel is a good value for the money. I tried this hotel after having a horrible experience at another Des Moines property and would definitely return.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank James C

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We have recently updated our rooms. So please come agian, I am sure you will enjoy the new bedding.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stay frequently at Choice Hotels - usually Comfort Suites and nice Comfort Inns. I had not stayed at an Econolodge before, but there were not a lot of available options for the two nights I needed in Des Moines.

I tried this out based on other reviews and was very satisfied. I was upgraded to a suite and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. It was steaming hot outside, and the air unit I had worked great! Nice tv with lots of channels. Wi-fi was was good enough (went down for a bit, but worked most of the time). Probably the most important thing for me is that it was quiet. Not a lot of guests on those days, but still didn't hear much noise.

I give it a 4 rating as a budget hotel. It was a charmless place - but worked. Pool looked budget. No fitness room. There were a couple breakfast items, not much, but at least something. The staff was busy, but friendly and willing to help. Iron's at front desk and iron boards little things that make ironing a little extra of a challenge.

The location is a right across from the fairgrounds. It's on the old east end of town. Not a lot of good places to eat right there. But I had meetings downtown and it took me less than 10 minutes commute without extra cost of hotel and parking required at downtown hotels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ICNiT

Thank you for your review. We love to hear from our guests.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fine bed and linens. The first floor carpet is worn but they mentioned the 3rd level rooms have been renovated lately. Really fine for the money. Breakfast bit above average for continental. Many other restaurants close by, close to I-80. I didn't see the pool as had no time or need for it.

Room Tip: Third floor has been redone.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ermame

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and choosing to stay with us here.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not the best, but worth the low cost. Convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope you always enjoy your stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#12 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!