“I know it's an Econo Lodge, but . . .”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Chicago, Illinois
“I know it's an Econo Lodge, but . . .”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

All should know first off one side of the hotel sits on a very busy street (loud trucks/motorcycles going by constantly). We got a "suite" which consisted of two "double" beds and a softbed. Definitely roomy, however, there were four of us staying in this room (a room that the website accommodates up to six) and there is one mirror above the sink in the bathroom. A few more mirrors in the actual room would be extremely helpful. I'm not sure where they found the double beds -- my husband and I barely fit in the bed and at 5'9", his feet were off the edge! Also, our son couldn't use the sheets on the sofabed because they were like "cardboard". There was a horse show in town when we stayed and the breakfast area is extremely small and definitely not enough room to accommodate all who wished to eat. Definitely some improvements need to be made.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ilene50
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are working on some updates and all reviews help us to know which areas still need to be addressed . Thank you Heather Clair GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I am a disabled veteran on kidney dialysis, which always makes long-distance travel a challenge. But I refuse to be defined by kidney disease. Grateful to have lived long enough to reach the age of 50, I decided to celebrate the Big 5-0 by taking a vacation to Des Moines, I chose the Econo Lodge because it was cheaper than staying downtown, and was on a city bus line (very important to me, because I choose a car-free life), A fairly new facility, my room was a wheelchair-accessible suite on the !st floor with microwave and refrigerator, free Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV, and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast had a good variety of items: bagels, donuts, make-your-own waffles, mini-omelets, biscuits and gravy, and fruit.

The location was in a quiet, blue-collar neighborhood right across the street from the Iowa State Fairgrounds. Right across the street is a bus stop for Des Moines Area Regional Transit's #1 route--only a 15 minute trip to downtown (please keep in mind that bus service ends around 5 PM daily...) Restaurants and shopping was within walking distance on University Avenue (I walk with a cane, and it took me less than 15 minutes...)

I wish to single out two people for going above and beyond on customer service. Heather was kind enough to let me store my luggage and food temporarily, since no early check-in was offered and I needed to get to kidney dialysis near downtown and did not want to carry all that stuff with me. And Kendra was really sweet, baking her homemade sugar cookies and offering me extra (because I was greedy...) As a proud employee of Taco Bell who works in the service/hospitality industry, I know that little things can mean a lot...

All in all, a pleasant experience. If my travels take me to Des Moines again, I will definitely consider returning here again. Compared to other Econo Lodge facilities I have stayed at, this one was among the best

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Choo-Choo
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We absolutely enjoyed having you here, and if you travel this way again please come back to see us.
Oregon
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Fairly new hotel right across the street from the state fairgrounds..Reasonable rates, Had a large room w/sitting area, micro & fridge combo,wifi Very nice breakfast w/ several choices..Very clean and quiet.- friendly staff. Would definitely stay here again.Only complaint was--the only ice machine was in a very inconvenient area (for me at least)-1st floor by the indoor pool

Room Tip: had 3rd floor room -very bright and quiet
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit us again in the future. We are always changing up the menu for the breakfast items and trying to find new ways to make your stay even more enjoyable than the last.
Arkansas USA
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The location for this trip to the state fair was fabulous. The room was nice and right across the street.. They alternate what they serve for breakfast - the bacon and eggs were good, but the next day, it was sausage gravy that was not good, and biscuits that were. However, they have donuts, bagels, waffles, etc. We did not need the biscuits and gravy with all the other starches. Some cups of fruit and apples were also available, along with plenty of juice, milk and coffee. Easy check in and out. Many good restaurants in the area and shopping not too far away. It was not difficult to find the Hotel or move around in this part of the city. We would definitely stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bullrem
wisconsin
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Lobby smelled of smoke. Room was tired. Very roomy, though. We got it for free, so we shouldn't complain, but I probably wouldn't pay to stay. The breakfast had only apples for me as I can't eat wheat. Nice staff. Frig and microwave and sofa in king-bed room. It was quiet that night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gogirlWisconsin
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience with us, however we have recently undergone a change in management staff. We are also working diligently to renovate and upgrade our rooms. I hope you come back to view some of the changes. I will also find a broader variety of breakfast items to be certain that all our guest get to enjoy the most important meal of the day.
Missouri
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This is a relative new property that typically has low occupance except for when events are taking place at the Iowa State Fairgrounds which is across the street. The neighborhood is very blue collar but I always feel safe and comfortable. This is my hotel of choice in Des Moines. It is a really nice home away from home. the rooms are clean and well maintained. The desk staff is very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vancamper
Coronado, California
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Have stayed here before with better results. The location is prime, right outside the fairgrounds.

So here goes...
We checked in and dropped our luggage, went over to the show and then dinner so we were back about 9 PM. First thing, the toilet stops up and right next to the toilet is a plunger (1st clue) and we went to work. We called down to the desk after fifteen or twenty minutes of unsuccessful plunging and were told that he was alone and could not leave the desk. No problem I said, we could just switch rooms to which he replied, "Sorry all sold out!". I asked what we were supposed to do and he replied that we would have to wait until morning!

Next morning, I went down to check out and was told the manager would not be in for another couple of hours. I then checked the computer in the lobby and found my account had 3 charges totaling $580 and change for one $90 night. Needless to say I was very upset and decided to go to breakfast and come back to see the manager.

The manager was sorry for the inconvenience, comped the room and got the pending charges removed temporarily from my account. Unfortunately, while we were on the road two days later two of those charges popped back up on my account. I called the hotel and was told the manager would call back, he did not. I called my bank and they were successful in removing them once and for all.

The erroneous charges came about because my original reservation (made six weeks in advance) was for the week. I had called to amend my original reservation to just one night the weekend before and they did not make the change. So when we arrived the second night of the original reservation we were charged for that and two more single night charges (can't explain these).

Love Iowa and the fairgrounds. The Econo Lodge is convenient for that.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
#29 of 48 in Des Moines
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!