“"Dude, where's my salad?"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Okoboji Grill - CLOSED

Okoboji Grill
Cuisines: Bar, American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Okoboji Grill strives to provide service of the highest quality while treating our guests to abundant portions of flavorful, homemade food in a neighborhood restaurant setting that fosters fun and excitement.
Monroe City, Missouri
“"Dude, where's my salad?"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Okobogi is to Iowans as the Pacific ocean is to Californians. Therefore, to borrow the name for a restaurant creates an expectation of grandeur and near Nirvana. I frequented this establishment on the south side of Des Moines, presenting with an earned and expectant appetite. As me and my wife settled into a worn booth and were glibly handed generic menus, our anticipation of culinary titilation mirrored the slow wane of an October moon. Variety was weak and imagination translucent. I therfore ordered a "Chef Salad" and my wife a turkey themed dish. I must admit service was incredibly fast. My dinner was a small platter with ingredients so sparse as to wonder if there was a spill twixt the kitchen and the table, yet substantial enough to hide most of the bottom of the plate. Did I say Chef Salad? The chef must have been in Okobogi on vacation and have taken the lettuce and tomatos with him. I discovered a bit of green tinsel on the bottom, tomatoes must have been in a dimensional transiton as they were not on the plate. There were two small portions of shredded luchmeat, you know the kind you buy for $.39 a package at the uber discount stock up grocery store and oodles of 2 types of cheese with a side of the the best part of the meal, french salad dressing. Now for my wifes meal: 2, 1/2 slices of unbuttered white bread, topped with again the same shredded lunchmeat (turkey) dribbled with generic tasteless white gravy (the kind you were able to substitute for wallpaper paste in days gone by), and a lob in the middle of the twins of instant mashed potatos dribbled in kind. Despite salt, pepper, sculpting and modeling using fork, knife and spoon, this mishmash was not only tasteless, but moreover inedible.
$22.00 and a $4.00 tip later, I felt screwed, glued, tatooed, and hungry. Well, a bag of tortilla chips on the way back to the hotel took care of the latter.
Got 26 bucks to throw away and anorexia, see above. Otherwise truck on down the road, buy a taco, burger, ethiopian chicken or a small can of cat food. Your time and money will be better spent.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Urbandale, Iowa
“Always the one we choose...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

If we are in doubt as to where to go alone or take guests, Okoboji is our choice. The food is great and the selections varied. The only problem we have is that the booths at the Johnston restaurant are getting a little old and worn out. Sometimes it's hard to get out of them.

Visited November 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
“Classic Sports Bar with Better Than Average Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

I frequently visit this location of the local chain to meet up with friends for dinner and a drink. You can watch a number of sporting events while you have a huge plate of nachos, scrumptious chicken fingers, a big bowl of pasta or just drink your dinner (wink, wink)-all of which I've done. My favorite is the Romano Griller (turkey piled onto Texas sourdough bread seared with cheese and oregano) with a side of Boji Fries.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best fries EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

Best fries EVER

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best Ruben in the State of Iowa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

After sampling Ruben Sandwiches throughout the State of Iowa for several years, I have concluded that the best on can be found at the Oakaboji Bar and Grill located in central Iowa.

They use marblized rye bread which is grilled to perfection to compliment nice size and tasty portions of corned beef, sour kraut, and thousand island dressing. Add a side of 'Boji Fries' and you have a great meal and a decent price.

Once again, I believe it to be the best Ruban Sandwich in the State of Iowa.