“Disappointing. Very poor service, not clean.” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Des Moines IA
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Disappointing. Very poor service, not clean.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Usually I give as positive reviews as I honestly can, but this one will not be positive. To start with, the room was not clean. The carpeting was damp and within a few minutes of being in the room, I was accosted by a cricket and several flying insects. There were stains on the bathroom door, the walls, and even the ceiling. The fitted sheet kept coming off the bed, and I woke up in the middle of the night very hot because the a/c turned itself off for some reason. (To be fair, I was able to restart it.) Several of the tv stations came in very fuzzy.
Though free wi-fi is advertised, it didn't work. I went to the front desk to see if I could have a different room with better reception, but the employee there told me that it didn't work well throughout the building. I was not offered a new room or any other solution other than permission to use the public computer in the lobby. The Net was so slow on the lobby computer that it was useless. (Moreover, there was a sign next to the computer saying that it was only for quickly checking email, though nothing could be done "quickly" on that thing.) I tried the wi-fi in my room again but it still didn't work. So I then asked to speak to a manager, but was told that would only be possible if the owners were working, and they were in China for 2 weeks so it wouldn't be possible. It was very disappointing as I never would have chosen that motel if I'd known that they didn't have wi-fi.
By morning I thought I was done discovering disappointments, but not so. The water in the shower never got hot, though I let it run a long time. It did get warm enough to tolerate, but never hot.
On the positive side, the coffee maker, fridge, and microwave all worked, the bowed out shower curtain was good, and I was glad to see high energy bulbs in the lamps. Additionally, the front desk employee did give me a phone number for a pizza place that delivered there.
But generally, it was a disappointment and I would not recommend this motel to anyone. Most disappointing of all was the apathetic customer service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jalolaka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

This motel was nothing exciting but was acceptable. We did have to walk through a hot hallway to our hot room which took a rather long time to cool. The carpet was not horrible but definitely not clean. The stairs and the walkway need some major repair. I did feel safe with my kids which was very important for me. The breakfast was decent with waffles but the juice was so watered down it wasn't really juice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Osceola, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

What could have been a very bad experience at the Travelodge, Des Moines, IA, turned into a wonderful stay thanks to Mr. Young Kim, General Manager. I had made our reservations through CheapMotels.com. and the cost of the room had been immediately debited from my checking account. But, when we arrived at the motel there was no record of my having made the reservation. Mr. Kim immediately called the online service and, after at least an hour, finally got the issue resolved. Had he not gone to bat for us we would have been without a room, the Travelodge would not have received their money, and we would have been out the cost that had been debited from our account. He was professional and courteous but persistent, exactly the tact that was necessary in this case. Before he had completed his call he gave us a room. It was much more than we expected. Not only was it quiet and clean with comfortable beds (expected) but it had a frig, microwave, coffee maker and safe. When I booked the room the information said no coffee maker, frig, or microwave, and a safe wasn't even mentioned. Again, our thanks to Mr. Kim for a great stay and our encouragement to others to try the Des Moines, Iowa Travelodge.

Room Tip: Make reservations through the motel, not online.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

I've stayed here at 3 times since December of 2010 and it was a nice experience each time.
My husband and I travel for work most of the year and to cut cost we economize. This hotel has very nice staff, the wifi is great, if you need like we do for work. The rooms are not the fanciest, but they have always been clean. The breakfast is not 5 star, but it is decent. I do not know what people expect, for the cost this hotel is GREAT!!!!
I have definitely stayed in some places I would not go back to, but this is not it.

Mrs. T Black

Tra

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank johawkins08
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

I've stayed here several times. It's a little tired, not trendy at all, but it works. Wifi's always worked, rooms have been clean and comfortable, with a frig, microwave, and desk, and I enjoy their breakfast. They have tasty biscuits and gravy, waffles, and plenty of the regular continental breakfast items. Friendly staff and also very near I-80.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PapaM87
Castle Rock, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

Hotwire booking at 2 1/2 Star. This is a solid 1!!!! Very disappointing. Side walk is patched, poor lighting in entry, Older units not updated. Felt creepy. 1950's look to reception. Room and furniture in terrible condition. Worn Out everything. DO NOT STAY.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Welton, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

This place was horrible...we booked on Hotels.com and when we got there they didn't have a place for us. They finally found us a room and we took our key to unlock the door and there were people in that room. We requested smoking so they gave us another room....which turned out to be NON smoking. So they moved us again to a smoking room that gaged a smoker. So we stayed in the non smoking room. The remote didn't work. We were woke up in the middle of the night by the alarm clock. It suprisingly appeared clean but needed some major updating....like beds and comforters. The front desk lady although friendly didn't have a clue. We were trying to save money because we have very little but please just spend a little more so you don't have to stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JudyMeh, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Des Moines IA, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Thank you for your review. We bring you the all new Travelodge!