“What the heck?”

67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“What the heck?”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

How is this possibly the number 5 thing to do in Des Moines. Cheap looking, scuzzy, dated bar. Another fine testament to the low standards of Iowan's. Paneling, shag carpet, etc. Went to a company function after hours here, I think I stayed for 15 minutes until the guest of honor arrived and I could give my congrats. I'm not sure what the appeal is but I would give this place lowest marks in pretty much every possible way. To be fair I did not eat here so I can't comment on the food but even if it was the best food imagineable (which I find doubtful) I still think I'd never find a reason to go back.

Nebraska
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Best tavern in Des Moines”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

This place is awesome! When we were visiting Des Moines we wanted a different kind of place (not upscale) to have a beer and relax....boy, did we find it. We'll go back every time we go to Des Moines. We really enjoyed looking at all the old beer signs and pictures. The shag carpeting, lights, and Pac Man video game all contribute to a feeling of returning to the 70's. It certainly brings back memories and our kids (in their 20's) thought it was great too! We also bought a cool t-shirt from there. But you don't belong there if you're "snooty" or looking for something fancy...this isn't the place!!

Ankeny, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A blast from the past”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

High Life lounge is awesome, if you're into 1960s bowling alley bars. No - there's not a bowling alley - but that is the best way to describe it. Shag carpet, PBR and laminate tables, make you feel like the cheap 60s. The drinks are okay, but most of the time the service is terrible. Stop by the High Life to see it, but then go next door to El Bait Shop and have one of over 100 good beers on tap in an eclectic atmosphere with good Mexican food. You'll be much happier there.

1 Thank pinkd0t
A TripAdvisor Member
“Chill retro style”
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I went to he High Life Lounge with my fellow interns from Principal. I liked the mix of older and younger crowd. We are fairly young and it was nice to see such enthusiasm for the old school style of bar and beer from people our age. It was a great change from the West Des Moines scene that is a never ending place for highly metro sexual men with tight shirts. It was great to get away and see real men and new faces. Although the West Des Moines bars boast "the most beautiful people" its fun to mix it up with people who don't try as hard. I loved the old looking brown carpet and the retro atmosphere. I would recommend giving it a try.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Des Moines, Iowa
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 290 helpful votes
“Back to the Future!”
Reviewed December 17, 2005

Enjoy the High Life at the High Life lounge!
This is a newish bar in Des Moines just off Court Ave, near the Science center and Principal Park.

This is a retro bar that is supposed to look like it is from 1964 although a lot of the decor looks more like something out of the 70's. Gets a good mix of people. The menu is small town Iowa from the 70's.

Try the tangermiesters and the tatertots wrapped in bacon!

5 Thank IowaLad