“Going the wrong way”

Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
C.R.
“Going the wrong way”
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I stayed at Clive Hotel and Suites for seven months in late 2006 and early 2007, being at the property Monday thru Fridays and departing on weekends. Unfortunately the property went the wrong direction during my stay.

Clive Hotel is a six-story former Clarion Hotel with no smoking on the upper floors. The rooms are nicely remodeled and the price is relatively inexpensive. Most of the residents are extended stay which is the market this property primarily serves. But the level of service declined during my stay. The front desk hours decreased from 7 am-11 pm every day to 10 am-6 pm M-Sat. As mentioned, the rooms are recently redone and are in pretty good shape. However, the heating/AC units in many of the rooms were not replaced. Some are problematic and all of the older units are very noisy.

The hotel provides weekly linen service, but this does not include dish towels or rags. There is a microwave, stovetop and full-size refrigerator in each "suite." But pots and pans, silverware, dishes and plates are NOT provided. BTW, there are no phones in the rooms. You with either have a cell phone or go without.

You can count on about one fire alarm per month, invariably in the middle of the night. This means you are rousted from sleep to trek down to the assembly area in the lobby, while the local fire department investigates. More often than not this is caused by a guest leaving a stovetop on and falling asleep.

Billing is problematic. I gave one months notice before leaving, but the next month's rent still showed up on my credit card. Also, a co-worker was double billed for one of his months there. Also if you leave mid-month, the last calendar month is NOT pro-rated. Unless you are leaving after the first or second week it's usually cheaper to pay for the whole month, than the much higher weekly rate. At this writing they are charging $675 per month or $275 per week.

The property is located just off I-80/I-35 and rooms on the west side of the building do get freeway noise at all hours. However, after a few days you get used to it.

I only had one episode of noisy all-night partying during my stay. This was during the state wrestling tournament, when there was screaming, running thru the halls, and slamming of doors for most of the nights during the tourney. Since the front desk is not staffed you have little recourse but a sleepless night.

To sum up, if you are on your own dime for a short stay M-F, this is an inexpensive decent bare-bones place to stay. If someone else is picking up the tab, or if you want a little nicer accomodations with dining facilities and/or a pool look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I stayed here for 2.5 months while they were in construction. It wasn't horrible but it was no where near great. My ceiling dripped water on three separate occasions and the desk clerks never seemed to know whether or not the problem had been fixed. My mattress sunk down so low in the middle it was almost touching the floor. They do bring 'clean' linens once a week, although I ended up buying my own sheets because theirs were often questionable. On the other hand, the building was safe and I never heard people being loud in the halls or their rooms. I always had hot water and the kitchenette was nice. I think the best thing they have going for them is their price compared other extended stay hotels in the area. Overall, if you're looking for a cheaper place to stay for a short period of time with out all the frills, this place will do.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Des Moines hotels

Reviewed February 2, 2006

I stayed there 8 months. Hotel is being remodeled by new owners. I believe things will get better as my room was just remodeled and I was pleased.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomington, illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Would not stay there again, very old hotel. Needs major updating. Llarge rooms, bed sheets were paper thin!!!! Old furniture in the rooms. Not very clean. Will not stay there again.

Stayed April 2005
1 Thank yarrow5
Reviewed July 13, 2003

We had a wonderful time for a great price. The ad on the internet says in-hotel reastaurant and bar. But they are only open if there is a certain amount of stayers at the hotel. So you might want to call and see if the reastaurant will be open. The food is great and they make awsome drinks!! Try the pool only a few blocks away its huge with lots to do for kids and adults at a very cheap price.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2003

The staff attitude was aweful and were very rude. I called and asked how far the hotel was to East Army Post Road after I made the reservation with ..., and they said that it would only take 5 minutes when it actually took about 25 minutes. Each day I came back to the hotel from work, my key was always de-activated. I had a miscommunication with my reservation with hotels.com and I tried to explain my situation to the manager (Nicole), and the clerk(Lisa), at the time and they refused to hear what I had to say and treated me as if I was a third class citizen. I was in Iowa on a military order therefore I was in uniform, and it seem as if they have no respect at all for Military personnel, since I watched them politely take care of other customers. Probably because I am not of the same culture. It is ashame that I have volunteered to protect and serve this country and the people within just to be belittled and become a victim of bigotry by a hotel clerk. I will never stay at any Clarion Hotel again. I have consulted with a friend which is the District Attorney at Gallup, NM., and I would definitely pursue a case against this business.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale
Hotel Renovo
Hotel Renovo
#2 of 11 in Urbandale

Been to Clive Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!