“Great Bread, Good Sandwich”

South Union Bread Cafe
Ranked #78 of 569 Restaurants in Des Moines
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Davenport, Iowa
“Great Bread, Good Sandwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Got there early, line grew quickly, seats disappeared. We shared a large Cajun Tuna Melt. More than enough for both of us. Enjoyable, like nothing we have had before. Worth coming back to try other sandwiches.

Visited April 2014

Indianola
“Always delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Love the food here! I only get one of 3 things - all because they are so good I don't want to try anything else!!! The potato pepperjack soup, or a sandwich (only order half, trust me!), or a make-your-own salad. I've only tried a couple sandwiches - Turkey Pepperjack and the Cajun Tuna. Everything is just YUM! The atmosphere can be noisy with the openness and tall ceilings. And arrive early, as there can be a wait to place your order. But it's all so worth it! And don't forget to get some bread to munch with your food - so good.......

Visited October 2013
1 Thank TumblerMom
Des Moines, IA
“Frequent Visitor to this Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place is a great spot to get hot or cold sandwiches, but my all time favorite place for their Potato Pepperjack soup and salad bar. Delicious. I go almost once a week for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank K_Trumper
Cave Creek, Arizona
“The best meal we had in DM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stopped for lunch and I had the salad bar bowl and my husband had their Union flatbread. The salad bar was outstanding. Fresh ingredients including many you wouldn't expect to see on a salad bar. For example, whole toasted pecans and chicken. I loved my salad.

My husband's flatbread was tasty but extremely challenging to eat. There were no knives on the sidebar, so he had to scrape off lots of toppings and eat it by hand. It was messy to say the least. But it tasted great.

We also grabbed some of the focaccia by the salad bar along with olive oil and Parm. It made for a delicious side.

It's a busy place at lunch, but we got there around 11:30 so getting a table wasn't hard. By noon, it was packed, so go early if you can.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank SalfromIL
Walpole, Massachusetts
“If I lived in Des Moines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

If I lived in Des Moines, I'd weigh 400 pounds because I'd eat at the South Union three times a day every day...Don't miss this place! Bread is amazing. Sandwiches are wonderful. Salad bar is FRESH. Free while you wait bread. Service is speedy. They seem happy to be on the planet! I had Sarah's Revenge; completely fresh and balanced...roast beef was scrumptious, onions and cheese were the perfect proportion, bacon was 'oh ya! I'm in the midwest!'...We were there at lunch and the place was abuzz with happy energetic talking happening spirit! A sure stop anytime you're in Iowa!

• Visited August 2013