“Best gyro in town”

Ted's Coney Island Restaurants
Ranked #112 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My wife and I get the gyro with feta basket every time we go here. It tastes great and you never go home hungry with all the sides. Our visiting relatives can't leave without come her, also. Just watch for panhandlers that get you in the drive-thru lane.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

So my wife and I had a free night and we were both craving a gyro but didn't want to make it or drive across town. Ted's Coney Island to the rescue. While I don't really dig their A frame building and retro diner decor they're usually pretty friendly and quick. The crowd is usually small and mostly drive through. I'm sure I was the oldest person in the building and I'm in my early 30's. The almost children that seemed to be in control of this place seemed responsible and courteous but the absence of anyone over 20 always makes me feel nervous when it comes to food.

The food was good. Loved my gyro with feta unfortunately as usual it's a little undersized and feels overpriced at 5.50. I saw they had a Chicago dog which I ordered as a side dish. The dog was loaded with everything that makes them good and really hit the spot. The fries here are pretty forgettable, the falafal was good but a little bitter and a little over done. Overall not great but not bad either. Next time I need a gyro and can't drive to get the Bosnian gyro across town I'll be coming back here for more.

3  Thank nahdogg
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is great for every kind of hot dog and the fixings. I would highly recommend for those who like hot dogs but if not, you will be limited.

2  Thank rosestogo2000
Reviewed January 5, 2012

With a name like "Ted's Coney Island," I passed this place everyday thinking they only had hot dogs, fries, etc and never tried it. A friend twisted my arm to go with her and my taste buds have never been the same! I ordered the Grilled Grecian Chicken Pita for $4.95. It's the best pita in town. It's filled with large chunks of moist, tender, pieces of white meat chicken that have been marinated (don't know in what). It comes with lettuce, tomato, feta and fantastic dressing with tons of flavor.

2  Thank RosslynUSA
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Best Gyro in the Des MOines area. I recommend getting it with feta cheese.