“LA PIZZA HOUSE IS A HUGE DISAPPOINMENT!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout, Waitstaff
Des Moines, Iowa
“LA PIZZA HOUSE IS A HUGE DISAPPOINMENT!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Carried out 2 large sausage pizzas and a full order of onion rings on March 9th. The pizza is a lot different than the pizza of yesteryear. Different sauce, cheese and sausage. Toppings were skimpy and about half of what they used to be. The size also appeared to be smaller. They have ruined the onion rings! A Des Moines favorite for many years. No longer do they serve the super thick cut onion rings. The coating is completely different. We ended up throwing out half the rings do to the terrible flavor and consistency. There are many good pizzas to be had in Des Moines, unfortunatley La PIzza house is no longer one of them. We spent almost $50 and it was all subpar food. A friendly warning to the Polito family: Quit messing around with something that was already great! The citizens of Des Moines want their OLD La Pizza house food back the way it was prepared for years. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Save your money and go elsewhere for a good pie. Inferior food and overpriced for what you get. Pretty sad!

Signed, a FORMER 50 YEAR customer!

• Visited March 2012

Boone, IA
“Why mess with a good thing?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I understand they had new owners and stopped in January with family. I have loved the onion rings and for some dumb reason they changed the batter and now has too much corn meal is my guess. We left some of the order when we left they were so bad. That has never happenned in my 25 plus years of eating there. Pizza was with less topping also than before.

This was my favorite in Des Moines. I even had my rehearsal supper here 30 years ago. But sadly :( this place is down for the count now and I doubt I will ever have those great onion rings I desired so much. Sad to see an era end.

• Visited January 2012
Roland, Iowa
“THE GREATEST !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Okay, first of all, you don't go to what we always call "Russ and Abbies" for pizza. It's the humongous sausage sandwiches and magnificent onion rings that make this place legendary. I've been going there since 1967. When I was in college, we would get a large group and pile into a van or truck and make the trip to Des Moines just to go to this fantastic place. There is no better food anywhere on this planet.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Davilance
Rogers, Arkansas
“Close this ancient place down.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I should have just got back into the car. My last day in Des Moines and we stopped here upon a friends suggestion. Bugs around the outside and inside entrance. Dark, dark, place. Could feel a film on the table even after cleaning. Pizza, well, nothing special and greasy. My friend owes me a dinner or better yet I'll suggest Pizza Hut!

Prince George, VA
“Took a chance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

On a two day visit in Des Moines, I had looked for that one of kind, I want remember Des Moines by, lunch. I found it at the La Pizza House. It obvisously had the distinctive look of being in the location forever. I had actually passed it up but something told me to take a chance. They were doing some remodeling, so sitting was limited and I found friendly locals that was not afraid to converse with a stranger. I ordered the bbq beef sandwich and small onion rings. When they were brought out I thought she had my order mixed up because there was a lot for a small order. Also, they were in a clump, but very well fried. They were actually the best onion rings I can recall having. The bbq beef sandwich was much more than I could handle in one sitting as well as the onion rings so I got a carry out for the other half for later. The waitress was sweet, courteous and attentive, dispite being the only one waiting the tables. What took me over the top with La Pizza House is that of all I got, tea, large bbq beef sandwich and the onion rings, it was less than $10.

The next trip to Des Moines is the next trip to the La Pizza House.

• Visited June 2011