“Super friendly”

El Patio Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #146 of 572 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ames, Iowa
“Super friendly”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We always have the most wonderful experiences at El Patio. The staff is incredibly friendly and the margaritas are outstanding. My only caution is that they sometimes struggle a little with very large groups (in getting all of the food out together and hot, etc). But great prices and great food!

Visited August 2012

“Best Mexican Food!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This family-owned excellent Mexican restaurant is absolutely wonderful! The beef fajitas were very flavorful and delicious. Everyone at our table enjoyed their meals. The owners greet you and attend to everything with perfection.Their homemade chocolate cake is out of this world! I highly recommend this place!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Ileen E
Urbandale, IA
“Hidden out of the way Gem”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I like that it is a house. I like that once inside you forget you are tucked inside a neighborhood. The margaritas are delicious and I have never had a dish I didn't like. I take friends that have never been there, so they too can introduce it to new friends. And hey, even the Governor eats there.

2 Thank SamplesEvrythng
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Oldest Mexican Restaurant in Des Moines”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This charming, quirky restaurant is just around the corner from Ingersoll Ave in The Kingman Historic District. It is still family owned, but the menu includes some Southwestern dishes as well.

The charming patio, with flowers everywhere, feels so much like a little restaurant south of the border. Get a pitcher of margaritas and pretend you are on vacation!

My regular menu item is the Chicken Topopo. Basically a tostado with a chicken breast on top with some melted cheese. My husband always gets the Chile Relleno, served with rice and beans. Without alcohol, the tab is under $25.00.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank ginnymom911
US
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I've always loved this place because it is off the beaten path in an old neighborhood. It was a house converted in to a restaurant. I'm always a sucker for restaurants in houses. I enjoy sitting on the back patio once the weather finally gets warm in Des Moines. I so wish the food was better, and I don't say that because it's awful. I say I wish it was better because I love the location and the atmosphere and just wished I could say I loved the food. The place could use a little maintenance in areas. The owner is very friendly.

• Visited August 2010