“Best BBQ in Iowa”

Woody's Smoke Shack
Ranked #28 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This place is not fancy and will never win any awards for decor, but it's the best BBQ in Iowa - hands down. I've never had a bad meal there.

1  Thank Mark R

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've had the Baby Back Ribs and Pulled Pork Sandwich...Excellent!
It is small, not an issue in the summer as there is plenty of outdoor seating, in the winter it is a little tight when busy.
Everyone has always been very friendly, it has become a regular stop.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Woody's continuously supplies spot on barbeque. Had brisket sandwich for lunch none better. I don't know what they put in the corn bread but OMG. Sides are all awesome and prices are great. Eat here whenever i can. Try sitting out on the patio for lunch it is very relaxing.

1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed June 13, 2013

You know you have a great rib when it doesn't even need sauce - Woody's has it. Ive had ribs all over and these are top notch in taste and quality. They're expensive... but WELL worth it.

1  Thank johnlwood
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My family and I visited Woody's on June 4th for my 1 year old daughter's birthday lunch. :) We had eaten Woody's ribs at a function in Valley Junction a few years back and remembered them as being really good. So, we decided to try the actual restaurant. First, the place is small, but cozy. The service was adequate, but nothing extraordinary. I asked the person taking our order what she would recommend and she quickly said the brisket. Knowing that i wanted the ribs, I ordered the 2 meat special, with 2 sides, for $13.95. My wife order the same combo, but with ribs and pulled pork. For side, we each got the cheesy potatoes, and the baked beans and creamed corn. The 'recommended' brisket was INCREDIBLE! May be the best brisket I've ever had. The ribs were good and tasty, but overcooked and a little dry. The pulled pork was also good, but not great like that brisket. Now, where things turn for the worse is the side dishes. They were all disappointing. The cheesy potatoes were just that, very plain and not enough seasoning. The baked beans and creamed corn tasted like they were out of a can. A quick solution would to add some of their house rub in the potatoes and creamed corn and throw some of their BBQ sauce (which was good) into their baked beans. Overall, we will go back, if not for anything else but the brisket. With a little change, this place could be 5 stars!

1  Thank tesheets