“Hands down - the BEST ribs in DSM PERIOD!”

Woody's Smoke Shack
Ranked #30 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 13, 2013

You know you have a great rib when it doesn't even need sauce - Woody's has it. Ive had ribs all over and these are top notch in taste and quality. They're expensive... but WELL worth it.

1  Thank johnlwood
There are newer reviews for Woody's Smoke Shack

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My family and I visited Woody's on June 4th for my 1 year old daughter's birthday lunch. :) We had eaten Woody's ribs at a function in Valley Junction a few years back and remembered them as being really good. So, we decided to try the actual restaurant. First, the place is small, but cozy. The service was adequate, but nothing extraordinary. I asked the person taking our order what she would recommend and she quickly said the brisket. Knowing that i wanted the ribs, I ordered the 2 meat special, with 2 sides, for $13.95. My wife order the same combo, but with ribs and pulled pork. For side, we each got the cheesy potatoes, and the baked beans and creamed corn. The 'recommended' brisket was INCREDIBLE! May be the best brisket I've ever had. The ribs were good and tasty, but overcooked and a little dry. The pulled pork was also good, but not great like that brisket. Now, where things turn for the worse is the side dishes. They were all disappointing. The cheesy potatoes were just that, very plain and not enough seasoning. The baked beans and creamed corn tasted like they were out of a can. A quick solution would to add some of their house rub in the potatoes and creamed corn and throw some of their BBQ sauce (which was good) into their baked beans. Overall, we will go back, if not for anything else but the brisket. With a little change, this place could be 5 stars!

1  Thank tesheets
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I love bbq and have eaten at most of the places in DM, but when we had out of town company we decided to try Woody's and were very pleased with the result. Everyone had something different and all approved. My brisket was tasty and moist, others enjoyed the smoked chicken, ribs, and ham. For sides I had beans and cheesy potatoes both of which were great, though the beans were a tad bit cold. I also tried the mac and cheese and coleslaw and they were good as well. In addition to the good food we enjoyed the outdoor seating area, with plenty of tables and chairs in the shade overlooking the nice quiet neighborhood. Free and delicious cornbread is always available for dine in customers. Staff was helpful if not super friendly. Definitely check out the bathroom! There are other bbq places in town with a bit more variety on their menu or have more of a sports bar feel to it, but if you are looking for great food and a quiet, low key place in which to eat it, Woody's is for you.

1  Thank Smithyben
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've eaten here a few times now and really enjoy the food. We've tried almost everything on the menu but the desserts and have no complaints. The sides are good and the sauce is great. It has pretty limited seating though, that's my biggest complaint.

1  Thank jnobz
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Woody's doesn't have the roomiest dining area, but they do have the best pulled pork sandwich in town - and that is saying a lot! Among the side dishes, I love the hot sweet apples. Our son had the mac and cheese but was not impressed. Note: the inside seating is very limited but they have a nice sheltered outside area and occasionally have live music.

1  Thank Tim S