“Small joint but worth a stop”

Woody's Smoke Shack
Ranked #28 of 580 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've eaten here a few times now and really enjoy the food. We've tried almost everything on the menu but the desserts and have no complaints. The sides are good and the sauce is great. It has pretty limited seating though, that's my biggest complaint.

1  Thank jnobz

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Woody's doesn't have the roomiest dining area, but they do have the best pulled pork sandwich in town - and that is saying a lot! Among the side dishes, I love the hot sweet apples. Our son had the mac and cheese but was not impressed. Note: the inside seating is very limited but they have a nice sheltered outside area and occasionally have live music.

1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This quaint BBQ place is the best in Des Moines. It is priced very reasonably, and the food is fantastic! I strongly suggest the Beef Brisket as that is what really makes this place stand out to me. Also, free cornbread!!!! The place is small so seating can be limited, but no worries in the summer as they have plenty of picnic tables to sit everyone. Can't go wrong with any of their sides as it is all good.

1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family and I stopped in for lunch on 12/18/12 while in town for a visit and all had great meals here. Woody's is a quaint place in a neighborhood setting several blocks south of Drake University. After ordering our meals came very quickly. Had the brisket and pulled pork and thought they were both done well and very tasty with the accompanying BBQ sauces. The sides and corn bread were very good. The corn bread was also a grand slam with my children. We ate in the heated patio area and were very comfortable for a cold December day. This is well worth the short drive off I-235 to have a meal!

1  Thank Matt H
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Took the whole family here last week!!! We ordered 2 Feasts and extra ribs, the food was brought out way faster than expected and all of it was delicious!!!! The ribs are perfectly smoked with just the perfect amount of seasoning, they fall off the bone! The chicken, ham and pulled pork were pretty darn good too. They have a great variety of side dishes, and those all disappeared very quickly! I highly recommend Woody's, they have the best ribs in Des Moines as far as I'm concerned, and Hubby and I have eaten a LOT!!! of ribs!

1  Thank Romy S