“YUCK!”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Yuck is all I can say and still be nice. The servers are rude, loud, obnoxious, and just plain mean to customers. The onion rings, spaghetti, stuffed green peppers and much of everything else on the menu is either undercooked, overcooked or just has no flavor, I say avoid this place at all cost!

4  Thank Ravie10

Reviewed April 17, 2010

I live on the southside of Des Moines and avoided Riccellis the last 25 years because their service was horrible, they always messed something up, the staff was mean and would argue in front of customers, and the food just wasn't good enough to go back.
Fast forward 25 years.
I've been there 4 times in the last 6 months. The first time we went I ordered chickens livers with spaghetti. My livers were burnt but not so badly that they were inedible. In fact the onion rings, bread, side of spaghetti, special steak (hubby) and my meal was all pretty good. The beer is really, really cold. We left feeling very full and satisfied.
The second visit I got calves liver. Again, it was burnt, but not so bad again. I think their cooks just need to watch things a little closer and not forget something's frying. Again, we left happy.
The third visit I ordered the stuffed peppers that were microwaved and one end of each pepper was so hard it was inedible......but the rest was just great, I actually really liked them. My husgand's prime rib wasn't up to par but he said it was okay. He said he will never get that again. We're used to Greenbriar's prime rib, which is the bomb. I also ordered fries and got a baked potato.
The last visit, just the other day, we ordered onion rings and never did get them. She realized it when she looked at the bill before handing it to us. We've never complained because they talk about you to other servers, loud enough that others can hear. The man at the table right next to us ordered fish and he couldn't eat it.They finally flagged down the waitress and she went over to tell the older woman that seats people about it and we could hear the older woman ask the waitress if he'd eaten the salad bread and side spaghetti and the waitress said yes...then the old lady says-sounds like he just wanted a free meal! OMG! You don't say stuff like that! Especially where other patrons can hear you!! Of course he ate all that-BECAUSE HE DIDN'T KNOW HIS FISH WAS GOING TO BE HORRIBLE! I could smell it from where I sat and it was so strong! It had to be old! Should everyone that eats there just put all their food off to the side until they get their main course to make sure it's alright? Heavens no!
We keep going back because the food's not bad (most of the time), it's hilarious watching the staff get stressed (used to bother me but I'm older and more laid back than I used to be). and all in all we get a lot of food for the money. We plan to make it a weekly thing.....LOL
I'd recommend this place to friends WITH WARNINGS! HA!

3  Thank Loulabelle8
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Gone to many restaurants in IA, IL. & CA. but have never seen management treat their employees as badly as this resturant. Old lady does not like kids in there. Our red headed waitress outside of the food were the only good things there.

2  Thank kicknanscreamn
Reviewed February 6, 2009

i guess we're just used to eating in restaurants where the staff is professional?

i had read reviews and decided it was time we went to eat at riccelli's.

yes - i'll agree the price was great. the both of us had a cup of soup, a dinner salad, the stack of onion rings; he had the stuffed green peppers, i had the lasagna and it came with bread and butter. we each had a glass of pop. total = $26.00.

now for the bad (i'll start at the beginning):

we were greeted friendly enough. the woman went to see what tables were available. we ended up standing there for about five minutes waiting for her to come back. when we finally saw her again she was talking with either her son, a regular? i don't know...when she finally got back to us she was standing about 20 feet away and she said, "table for two..." and took off like a bat out of hell. she disappeared around the corner and by the time we got around the corner she was already a good 40 feet away waiting for us to get to the table.

within the first 4 minutes of us being seated we proceeded to watch a waitress dump an entire glass of ice water on a customer. i watched as she unsteadily picked up a tray and lifted it above her head. for some reason she thought she could squeeze in between the customer and another stand that was basically in her path, which probably gave her a total of less than 2 feet to squeeze through, with a tray held above her head nonetheless.

after this happened, the very immature table behind us (a 30-something married couple and obviously her younger, 20-something sister_ covered their red faces as they laughed hysterically at this woman and ultimately the man whom she dumped the water all over. the table next to them was also laughing pretty hard and we just found it all extremely rude.

then the drinks come. my glass had gunk on it. i said to my husband, "i'll just ask for another glass of pop" and after witnessing everything we had already witnessed he said, "you don't want to do that." so i drank my pop for fear that something terrible would've happened to my new pop if i had mentioned that there was something on my glass.

my husband was actually given a fork that was completely bent all to hell.

the waitress wrote down our order, came back about 20 minutes later and asked if we had ordered onion rings (which we had and she had written down) and she said they would be on the house because she forgot. (we ultimately ended up paying for them as she did not cross them off the ticket).

when she gave us our salads she couldn't remember who had which dressing...which from our experience eating in restaurants, which we do quite often, this doesn't usually happen unless you're in a large party.

the place was loud with crashing and breaking noises.

the guy cleaning up the tables had to have been on methamphetamine.

the waitress REAKED of B.O.

i watched the same waitress that had previously dumped water all over a customer come in the room with a tray and she just about dumped the glass of wine on it.

food: not good

onion rings are nothing to brag about. the flavor was off and they tasted weird.

the lasagna had so much ricotta in it that it was a filthy, mushy mess. the overall flavor was also not good. i know a 3rd grader who can make a better lasagna than the one had tonight.

the red sauce had no flavor. period.

the lettuce in the salads tasted like it had been frozen.

the dressing was weirdly, too creamy.

the pop was watered down.

the waitress actually asked us if we smoked. she then told us that if we smoked we would understand why she kept us waiting because she just HAD to go outside and have a cigarette. and i'm sure she didn't wash her hands after that.

the waitress also wore a white sweater and had spilled food all over herself. her appearance was scary to say the least.

but my husband says the stuffed green peppers were good!

3  Thank puertovixan
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I went there with a group from work in March 2007. I was actually in DSM for work and Riccelli's was recommended by a co-worker who is not a local and loves non-chain restaurants. The staff was very friendly and the food was awesome. I ordered seafood, which was delicious! Our group also got to try their Onion haystacks (their specialty), which were better than onion rings! I gave it a four-star due to the fact that at the time we went service was a little slow at first. I will be going back to DSM next week and will make it a point to go to Riccelli's again based on that last visit.