“Ricelli's”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Ricelli's”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The amount of food served here in insurmountable. The service was wonderful, the food was done quickly, everything tasted great, but the real winner hear is the value. You cannot beat the amount of food for the price.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Beth W

Des Moines, Iowa
“The worst restaurant I could ever fathom.”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Let me start off by saying, I am a vegetarian. I have been for 8 years. Seeing as this is an Italian restaurant, and I enjoy the other Italian restaurants around Des Moines, I decided to go to Riccelli's with my mom and uncle to celebrate their birthday.
When we walked it... I don't even know how to describe it... It looks like my grandmothers house, if it were unkept for 30 years (sloppy, mismatching paint, old time feel). Seeing as it would be rude to leave as soon as we walked it, we got seated anyway.
The waitress was nice, no complaints there. The other customers were quite loud (actually yelling and whatnot), and that wasn't very enjoyable. Usually, unless I see something on the menu that I'd rather have, I get spaghetti. "Plain spaghetti, no meatballs" as I always tell the waiter. That is what I ordered, then wait 20 minutes, being served a very bad salad (I didn't eat more that a few bites) sometime between those 20 minutes.
When I got the spaghetti, it looked weird. My mother had a side of spaghetti, and it looked nothing like this. I asked the waitress if there is meat in it, which she said yes right away and apologized. She asked if she could get me something else, that they would make special for me that has no meat in it. By that time, I had lost my appetite and refused. She said she will tell the owner about it, and told us to talk to her when we leave, so she can decide if I have to pay for it still (HAHA).
Now, when I left, I figured that the owner will apologize and drop my meal off the bill. This is what happened instead. I explain to her that I am a vegetarian, her first response was "Well, there's no meat in it, it just has a meat base." and after a strange look from me (it has no meat but the base of it is meat? HAHAHA) she exclaims "Well yeah, it has meat in it! It would be dumb to think otherwise, everyone knows the base of all spaghetti sauce has meat in it, what do you expect??" (I really didn't know what I should do at this point, roll on the ground laughing, or give her what for) Instead, I stand there silently, and my mother apologizes to HER. She says she will remove my food from the bill, and I walk out quickly as to make sure I stay polite, and not say something rude to her.
My mother and uncle come outside, and we look at the bill. She did not remove my food from the bill. We were stuck with a $48 bill of food that I didn't eat, and from what my mother told me, was mediocre at best. I have never seen such a rude and disgusting restaurant owner in my life. You do not insult your customers by inferring they're dumb, you do not lie to them to take their money. I have never had a "meat base" in any other plain spaghetti from any restaurant, nor any store spaghetti sauce that is not specifically the meat kind.
In short, don't go there.

• Visited July 2011
5 Thank Victoriax3
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average but good value”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The atmosphere is kinda funky, old Italian mixed with a nursing home feel. My husband and I got the ravioli with meatballs and green stuffed peppers, each approximately $10. It came with those entrees, Italian wedding soup, a salad and bread. If you leave hungry from there it really is your fault. Very good price for all the food. Was disappointed that there were no cream sauce pastas, just red sauce. We went with another couple and none of us could find fault with the food, it was pretty good. Exceptional? Maybe the onion rings but otherwise no. Not a huge menu, doesn't look real kid friendly with the linen tablecloths and such. Would recommend for the great value, but not as a to-die-for restaurant.

1 Thank like2eatfood
“Everything was awful!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Hostess/matron/whatever was yelling at the other workers. Waited approximately 10 minutes to see our waitress, another 40 to see our entrees which appeared to be normal... Nothing was delicious at all. Crusty old bread, old OLD over cooked fish, disgusting canned tomato sauce, and a joke if a side of spaghetti (not like I would have eaten more than a bite because it was awful!). Everyone that worked there was just... plain... awful. Everything that was served there was just... plain... awful!

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank stephc005
Ames, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a chain, real italian, real good, all the time!”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

You know when you visit a city for the first time you wish you knew the restaurant where all the locals go to eat. Well I am here to tell you, that is Riccelli's. My family and I have been eating there for over 35 years. We have NEVER had a disappointing meal there EVER. They have regular customers who have been coming there longer than we have. The huge stack of onion rings are absolutely the best! Whether you get a steak, pasta dish, seafood, or their special italian chicken you will never leave hungry and you will still have money left in your wallet. By the time you have the soup, salad, side of spaghetti, bread and butter, you will be needing a box to take home half of your entree. Their salad dressings are homemade as well as their marinara sauce(which by the way is just the right thickness and just the right spice) and other italian dishes. It is run by honest-to- goodness Italians. A mother, sons and grandsons. The owner Peter Riccelli passed away a couple of years ago. There is a bar with seating for eating if you wish to watch the basketball or football game. There are several huge dining rooms to seat all the hungry patrons quickly or accomodate a party or two or three. Don't expect a fancy place or else they may have to raise the prices. But if you want to have a delicious, authentic Italian meal at a place where they know your name and you are treated like family, then Riccelli's is the place to go.

• Visited March 2011