“Average but good value”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The atmosphere is kinda funky, old Italian mixed with a nursing home feel. My husband and I got the ravioli with meatballs and green stuffed peppers, each approximately $10. It came with those entrees, Italian wedding soup, a salad and bread. If you leave hungry from there it really is your fault. Very good price for all the food. Was disappointed that there were no cream sauce pastas, just red sauce. We went with another couple and none of us could find fault with the food, it was pretty good. Exceptional? Maybe the onion rings but otherwise no. Not a huge menu, doesn't look real kid friendly with the linen tablecloths and such. Would recommend for the great value, but not as a to-die-for restaurant.

1  Thank like2eatfood

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Hostess/matron/whatever was yelling at the other workers. Waited approximately 10 minutes to see our waitress, another 40 to see our entrees which appeared to be normal... Nothing was delicious at all. Crusty old bread, old OLD over cooked fish, disgusting canned tomato sauce, and a joke if a side of spaghetti (not like I would have eaten more than a bite because it was awful!). Everyone that worked there was just... plain... awful. Everything that was served there was just... plain... awful!

3  Thank stephc005
Reviewed April 5, 2011

You know when you visit a city for the first time you wish you knew the restaurant where all the locals go to eat. Well I am here to tell you, that is Riccelli's. My family and I have been eating there for over 35 years. We have NEVER had a disappointing meal there EVER. They have regular customers who have been coming there longer than we have. The huge stack of onion rings are absolutely the best! Whether you get a steak, pasta dish, seafood, or their special italian chicken you will never leave hungry and you will still have money left in your wallet. By the time you have the soup, salad, side of spaghetti, bread and butter, you will be needing a box to take home half of your entree. Their salad dressings are homemade as well as their marinara sauce(which by the way is just the right thickness and just the right spice) and other italian dishes. It is run by honest-to- goodness Italians. A mother, sons and grandsons. The owner Peter Riccelli passed away a couple of years ago. There is a bar with seating for eating if you wish to watch the basketball or football game. There are several huge dining rooms to seat all the hungry patrons quickly or accomodate a party or two or three. Don't expect a fancy place or else they may have to raise the prices. But if you want to have a delicious, authentic Italian meal at a place where they know your name and you are treated like family, then Riccelli's is the place to go.

1  Thank IKNOWGOODFOOD2
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Yuck is all I can say and still be nice. The servers are rude, loud, obnoxious, and just plain mean to customers. The onion rings, spaghetti, stuffed green peppers and much of everything else on the menu is either undercooked, overcooked or just has no flavor, I say avoid this place at all cost!

4  Thank Ravie10
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I live on the southside of Des Moines and avoided Riccellis the last 25 years because their service was horrible, they always messed something up, the staff was mean and would argue in front of customers, and the food just wasn't good enough to go back.
Fast forward 25 years.
I've been there 4 times in the last 6 months. The first time we went I ordered chickens livers with spaghetti. My livers were burnt but not so badly that they were inedible. In fact the onion rings, bread, side of spaghetti, special steak (hubby) and my meal was all pretty good. The beer is really, really cold. We left feeling very full and satisfied.
The second visit I got calves liver. Again, it was burnt, but not so bad again. I think their cooks just need to watch things a little closer and not forget something's frying. Again, we left happy.
The third visit I ordered the stuffed peppers that were microwaved and one end of each pepper was so hard it was inedible......but the rest was just great, I actually really liked them. My husgand's prime rib wasn't up to par but he said it was okay. He said he will never get that again. We're used to Greenbriar's prime rib, which is the bomb. I also ordered fries and got a baked potato.
The last visit, just the other day, we ordered onion rings and never did get them. She realized it when she looked at the bill before handing it to us. We've never complained because they talk about you to other servers, loud enough that others can hear. The man at the table right next to us ordered fish and he couldn't eat it.They finally flagged down the waitress and she went over to tell the older woman that seats people about it and we could hear the older woman ask the waitress if he'd eaten the salad bread and side spaghetti and the waitress said yes...then the old lady says-sounds like he just wanted a free meal! OMG! You don't say stuff like that! Especially where other patrons can hear you!! Of course he ate all that-BECAUSE HE DIDN'T KNOW HIS FISH WAS GOING TO BE HORRIBLE! I could smell it from where I sat and it was so strong! It had to be old! Should everyone that eats there just put all their food off to the side until they get their main course to make sure it's alright? Heavens no!
We keep going back because the food's not bad (most of the time), it's hilarious watching the staff get stressed (used to bother me but I'm older and more laid back than I used to be). and all in all we get a lot of food for the money. We plan to make it a weekly thing.....LOL
I'd recommend this place to friends WITH WARNINGS! HA!

3  Thank Loulabelle8