“Best Brisket in Des Moines”
Review of Flying Mango

Flying Mango
Ranked #10 of 573 Restaurants in Des Moines
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Best Brisket in Des Moines”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant in the Des Moines area. I regularly recommend Flying Mango to friends. They have, by far, the best beef brisket I've had in Iowa. There is limited seating, but it makes for a nice intimate setting. They take a limited amount of reservations in order to be able accommodate walk in traffic. The portions are generous and every bite is flavorful. I always receive excellent service. Parking was sparse in the past, but they've expanded parking across the side street.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank WarriorGene

Memphis, Missouri
“great meal”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The food is great and the service is very good. The drinks are the weak part of the meal. --- we would go again for the food.

1 Thank Honest T
Peoria, Illinois
“Not our plan... but even better!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were in Des Moines to go to Adventureland and we were in the mood for barbecue for dinner. The clerk at the front desk had recommended another place, but when we got there, it was packed. We used our GPS to look for another place, and we decided on Flying Mango. Boy, did we luck out! They do serve barbecue, but SO much more. My husband and I went with the brisket (amazing!), and our son hesitantly opted for the Louisiana Platter. He was very happy he did- it was wonderful! They seemed surprised when we walked in and didn't have a reservation, but we were able to get a seat right away. If you go after 6, I'd make a reservation- it filled up about that time.
The owner was fun, friendly and even filled up our water himself a few times. Our waitress was wonderful and made suggestions that really helped us decide from their large menu. The food is not your normal run of the mill choices- no French fries and plain mashed potatoes here. So many eclectic choices that change daily. I only wish we lived closer so we could try more of what they offer.

Geneseo, Illinois
“Will definitely be back!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to Des Moines for the weekend and had made reservations here and this was definitely worth the trip! Our waitress was wonderful, she was very attentive, she was busy with cocktail for the people waiting as well. We had ordered the fish tacos as a appetizer, they were awesome, she had recommended this sauce to put on it, it made them more amazing! At that point I couldn't wait for the main course. My husband had the smoked pork loin and I had the lime and garlic shrimp with fettuccine, both were very good. The only bad thing I could say was the wait between the appetizer and the main course, but they were really busy. We will definitely go back.

Osceola
“Great food and friendly staff!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My niece recommended this restaurant to me so we went there for my birthday. Was skeptical when we pulled up to the building, nothing special and parking is limited. Went inside and was glad we made reservations, the place was packed! Don't let the exterior and the parking issue scare you off...this is one of the best places to eat in Des Moines! The food was excellent and we did not find any issues with the service, our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Have sent others from our area up there to eat and they were not disappointed. Do not hesitate to make a reservation to eat here.

• Visited June 2013