“careful what you ask for”
Review of Flying Mango

Flying Mango
Ranked #9 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

a few years back i brought this gal here for some dinner for one of them so called first dates. she had some chicken concoction that she sure enjoyed, and i of course had the brisket. fantastic. no a few years down the line that gal is now my ole lady. that is what type of an impact this place can have on your life. honest to goodness truth

There are newer reviews for Flying Mango

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had fish tacos, they were great. Mom had stuffed chicken- it was not as expected: 2 chicken breasts stacked on top of each other with goat cheese and asparagus spears in the middle, on top of the mashed potatoes. She did like it. Some of the asparagus was a little undercooked (tough) but there was still plenty to eat. Sister #1 had the baby chop, it was great and not a little baby either! Sister #2 had briscut sandwich and was disappointed. Meat was too thick for a sandwhich, so she chopped it up, then it was still a bit tough and the bbq sauce too spicy.

Service was good but not great- waitress did not ask about the food or the beef would have been sent back. Over all, we would return, but not order the brisket- although I see other rave reviews here, so maybe just an off night?

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Traveling on business and eating alone, I dropped by for a take-away order. The hostess was very sweet and helped me with placing my order. I decided on the brisket with veggie sides and it was ready in minutes.
The brisket was not dry, had a deep smoky flavor with the BBQ sauce, and leftovers were great for lunch the next day. I did wish I had some bread to make a sandwich -- maybe I'll remember the next time I'm in the area. I'd definitely visit again.

1  Thank SharkeyMilo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Cute restaurant. Service was very good. Liquor prices were reasonable. I had beef brisket. It was wonderful. It's not easy to smoke brisket & get it tender without being overcooked & mushy. The texture of this brisket was just right. My husband had shrimp creole. He enjoyed it very much, but it was quite spicy. Parking can be an issue. We went here on a Wednesday night. It was pretty busy, so unless you go early, make a reservation.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Really wonderful food. The Sangria was amazing. It can get pretty crowded in there and you need to make sure you know their hours. However, very nice place.

1  Thank hknotts