“Went twice!”

Ranked #11 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2011

While in Des Moines, my husband and I looked on here to find the best restaurants!
Did not disappoint!!
My husband loved his Brisket so much he wanted to go back the next day to get it again!
I had the Maui Maui plate. They were out of Maui Maui as is everyone else right now but the fish they replaced it with was just as good! I didn't care too much for the Sweet Potato Pancake though. The 2nd time back I had the Seared Yellowfin Tuna and again it was very good. We also had their White Chocolate Bread Pudding and it was awesome!
Another thing to point out... I LOVE mango's and have had many different Mango Salsa's and honestly never been happy with any of them. I was not excited to try to mango salsa. Just to try to food... however, finally I was proved wrong and finally found Mango salsa that was perfect!! Only wish I could get it where I live!!!
Also, the staff was super friendly both times and Mike, the owner, visited with us the 1st time also! Even came back to make sure the food was good! Very pleased!
We sat outside the 1st time and inside the 2nd. Both were great!

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Without question the best restaurant in Des Moines. Food is amazing and plentiful. Atmosphere includes artwork of H.C. Porter who is one of the best in the country.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Went with a friend on Thursday evening and decided to sit outside because the inside was very dark. Outside seating was OK but you are literally iin their parking lot and the restaurant is on a busy street. A few times we had to stop talking on account of motorcylcles revving by.

Service was very slow and we often felt forgotten then at the end of the meal, although it was only 9:40 rushed to pay the bill and finish our drinks so they could close up. The server was very pleasant and informative but she didn't check on the table often enough, forgot the napkins & silverware, no salt & pepper on the table or with the meal, just a bit of lack of attention to detail. Dessert was never offerred but there was no problem splitting the check- instead of asking for separate checks we just split it between the two of us & handed her two credit cards.

That said, the food was quite good opted for the chicken salad appetizer (not my choice my friend picked, I would have tried a bbq item or the quesidillas). Garlic Lifme shrimp were well prepared but the dish could have used a little more punch. My friend got the mahi mahi and very much enjoyed it.

Despite the flaws it was a good meal and I would return.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We ordered the chicken dip for starters and it was ok, not great. Then for the main entree we got the garlic lime shrimp and the mahi mahi. The shrimp dish wad fantastic and the mahi mahi dish was good was the fish was cooked perfectly but the salsa kind of made the dish cold.

The service was ok, but at times we seemed more of a bother. Also, we were close to the front which was very hectic.

Overall nice place that I would go again but try some BBQ next time.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

We went early on a Friday evening and had reservations. We were one of first groups seated. Some of our party had been there before but it was our first visit. The Mango has a relatively small dining room while the tables are not unreasonably close, don’t expect a quiet, intimate setting. As we left there were customers waiting for tables to open.
Our group of five ordered and split two appetizers, the quesadilla (the filling varies, it was brisket on our visit) and the smoked chicken spread with red Chile tortilla chips. Both were adequate to split and quite good. After I tried the brisket quesadilla, I knew I had erred on my entrée. The brisket was likely the tenderest and flavorful I had ever tasted. My only comparison in flavor was from the now retired Amarillo BBQ in Omaha, NE. I might have ordered the brisket entree had I felt hungrier.
I ordered the lime and garlic chicken with black pepper fettuccini and it was ok. I was looking forward to the black pepper fettuccini but it seemed a little overwhelmed by the subtle garlic and lime sauce. I think the dish might easily be punched up a little by some of the red Chile powder or chipotle powder. The same dish prepared with shrimp was pronounced very good by another of our party. Two of our group had the Memphis ribs. Similar to the brisket, they were dry smoked to tender with a smoky crust. The tips of the BBQ items might be a little too crusty for some, so keep the delicious home brew barbeque sauce handy. These ribs were prepared as I like ribs. I plan to return and try the some of the other dishes starting with the ribs or brisket. I see a combo in my future. My spouse had the sweet potato pancake with mango sour cream and the coleslaw for her choice of two sides. She indicated she would be choosing something else next time. The sautéed vegetables on another order looked cooked just right for me. I also liked the appearance of the corn bread, butter, and honey so there’s more that I look forward to. The andouille sausage, red beans and rice, and chicken creole were judged excellent.
Service was good. We requested two tickets before ordering. I’m not sure our request pleased the waitress, since she said, NO! At the time I wasn’t sure her refusal to split was a joke or not. I’ve never waited a table, but sorry, I think working in a restaurant you better get used to it. When we received the bills it was about half split and we were left to figure it out. It gave me the impression that it was too much trouble for them. While this is likely not the wait staff’s fault, it’s why I only give an average to the friendly, efficient service. The owner chef stopped by almost every table while we were there making sure everything was enjoyable.