“Is this a sports bar or what?”

Johnny's Hall of Fame Bar
Ranked #160 of 572 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Ankeny, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Is this a sports bar or what?”
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We thought this was a sports bar and chose to meet friends to watch a college basketball game one recent Saturday afternoon. After asking them to put on the game (because it had started and all the TVs were on some show called "Worlds Strongest Men" or something like that), asking again to have the game on the big screen, then having to listen while another group of 3 asked to have a different (professional football ) game have the AUDIO played, we gave up and went elsewhere. Our service was terrible, the attitude of wait staff was terrible and they seemed to have no clue about college sports. A wasted Saturday afternoon on a 'Sports Bar' that had no clue and staff that did not care about customers or sports. The staff and their friends hung around the bar visiting most of the afternoon--I wish I'd had my camera so I could have photographed it for their employers. I'm sure that's not what is expected of them. Anyway...will never suggest to friends that we meet there again for anything. Lots of other places in the Metro that want to cater to college sports fans.

West Des Moines, Iowa
“More Des Moines Mediocrity”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Seemed to me that most people were there to watch the game and didn't care what food tasted like or how long it took to arrive. Pizza was ok not good, philly was good but I wouldn't return unless it was on someone else's dime. 12$ for lunch of a sammich fries soda and tip seemed too spendy for a mediocre experience. Not sure why/how places of this calibre stay open.

des moines
“disappointed”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

horrible service, crappy food, but the atmosphere is much better!

Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A terrible experience!”
Reviewed March 20, 2008

A group of coworkers and I decided to try out the 'new' Johnny's for lunch on Thursday, March 20th. We arrived around 11:30, didn't get to order until 12:00, and the food did not arrive until 12:30. I ordered the small Ceasar Salad; when it arrived (in a cup just slightly larger than a coffee cup), it had one cucumber slice, one tomato slice, six croutons, and about five bites of lettuce. The menu said it also came with garlic bread. When I asked the waitress where the bread was, she gruffly said, "Well, I would have brought you some if we had any." I also had to ask for dressing, as it came plain with nothing on the side.

After all was said and done, they agreed to comp us on our beverages ($2.00 for soda! At least they have free refills...) and the salad (which was about $5.00). My coworker was charged 50 cents extra for the cheese on his double cheeseburger, which he thought (correctly) should come automatically when you order a double cheeseburger.

There were several other things wrong with our experience. Just to scratch the surface: severely-limited menu (they were missing half of the things on the shortened menu anway), cramped seating, inexperienced staff, and no attention to detail.

The only good thing about the place is the abundance of televisions. If you're into sports, this will be a great place to check out games on their big-screen televisions.

If you are going to open an eating establishment, either be ready to go on the first day with a complete menu and a full staff, or wait until you know you can do it right.

Even when (and if) they get things 'right,' Johnny's is just a carbon-copy of every other bar/restaurant in Des Moines. Nothing about the place stands out, and the only reason Johnny's will survive is because it is an institution in downtown Des Moines. It will always be a 'second-choice bar' for downtown partying.

1 Thank SF_Fan_in_DSM
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Foosall and beer. A great place to hang out. I haven't tried the food.”
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Foosall and beer. A great place to hang out. I haven't tried the food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook