“The place for fine dining in Des Moines.”
Review of Bistro Montage - CLOSED

Bistro Montage
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 28TH
Transit: There is a Metro stop at the corner of 28th and Ingersoll Ave.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've lived in many cities with upscale restaurants across the U.S., including 10 years in New York, and have eaten in fine restaurants in many more cities. Bistro Montage could easily be located in NYC and be successful. Des Moines is lucky to have a chef of Enoch Kelly's level preparing food and pairing wine. I read the reviews here and am dismayed at the few people rating the restaurant low for hour long waits or other service issues. Living in Des Moines the past 12 years I've been a customer of Bistro Montage for most of those years dining there about twice a month - the quality started out good and only improved from there. I've never had a bad meal or poor service. Also, I make it a point to observe other customer's service and have never seen anyone wait longer than normal nor complain about service.

The quality of the food is outstanding, a testament to fresh ingredients and an innovative and talented chef. I've eaten at two restaurants I thought were better, one in NYC and one in San Francisco for $400 for two. I'm sure there are more restaurants with better food or service, but this isn't a place that slings hash. So if you're looking for mass quantities of low-cost average food, waiters in disguise or a place you can throw peanut shells on the floor this might not be what you're looking for. But if you want a fine dining experience in Des Moines with knowledgeable and professional waiters that know food and and can pair wine you'd be hard pressed to find one better than Bistro Montage.

3  Thank Well_trvld65

Reviewed February 2, 2013

What was most enjoyable was the chef's use of local, fresh ingredients. The dinner was delicious, the wine selection very good and there is a quiet ambience which I found enjoyable.

1  Thank vlherring
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have never had such a terrible experience at any restaurant. Even after placing a reservation, the wait staff must have decided that they were too busy to attend to our party of two (though only half of the tables in this small establishment were seated). After nearly an hour of being completely ignored by the wait staff, we left without even having received so much as a glass of water. In this time, the table next to ours was served two courses, refills of wine and water. We were less than two feet away from this couple, literally directly next to them, and their waiter would not even make eye contact with us, let alone deign to fill our water glasses or inquire if we'd been helped. Another couple was seated nearly 30 minutes after us. When I saw that they had received water, wine and their first course, it became apparent that we were basically being refused service.

Bistro Montage has something to learn from other fine dining establishments in Des Moines who pride themselves not just on their cuisine, but also on their exemplary customer service.

6  Thank Katharine515
Reviewed January 5, 2013

As we arrived at the Restaurant, we were greeted by the hostess and asked if we had a reservation. We did not and did not feel we needed one as I have heard that most of the time the restaurant is not very busy. Therefore the question seemed silly especially since only two tables were taken. The experience continued and we recieved our food in a reasonable time. Everything about the food was deluctable and overall the service from the staff was quite good. However, it did get very busy as the night progressed. Only one thing could ruin this delightful evening and it was the glares that the manager-owner was giving us. This was not just me who noticed this. It was unclear why we were getting the glares. After all we paid for our food, tipped well and we were being quiet and keeping to ourselves. It was unfortunate that someone would have to act the way the manager did to ruin this experience and keeping me from telling my friends and family about dining at this restaurant in the future.

1  Thank Karma1530
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Friends from Oregon were impressed. It has a limited menu but fabulous food, wine, and atmosphere. A small restaurant - so check on tables before you go if it is on the weekend.