“Fab Fish! What a wine!”
Review of Splash

Splash
Reserve with OpenTable
Splash is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd & Locust
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Although this place has marvelous fish, the wine is superb. Even if you know nothing about the wine, they will help you find one you will love with their wine expert! I think it might be a twinge over priced, but all in all it was a great time!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a very nice restaurant that serves almost any seafood you would want. They also have a very extensive wine list at a pretty affordable price if you buy it by the bottle. The meals are pricey though. I had blackened salmon and though it was very good, but I've had just as good at others restaurants for a better price. I understand that at some places you pay for ambiance, but this was nothing exceptional. They have uniquely painted walls with fish tanks at various places around the restaurant, but I felt the place was too dark. Our server was very pleasant and helpful. If you want good seafood, this is the place to go, but just be prepared to pay a hefty price for it.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pros:
-Excellent food. The chef has some great combinations and is quite creative with the seafood dishes. Between the four of us, we had tuna, scallops, halibut and escargot. All of it was wonderful.
-Ambience was beautiful. Several saltwater fish tanks, and the restaurant is arranged such that you're in smaller rooms rather than one large one (so just a few tables in each area).
-waitstaff was great - very professional. it's been a while since I've been to a restaurant where the staff actually acted like they'd been well-trained.

Cons:
-a bit pricey, but worth it.
-all the fishtanks were great, except the one in the far back (where we were seated). Not well-kept and only a few small fish. Looked kind of depressing.
-odd paint job on the walls - looked like amoebas. It was fine, but not exactly fitting with the theme.
-there is an oyster bar that is clearly marked, and we started to go in there then the hostess showed us in to the restaurant. The actual restaurant is not well-marked so it was confusing.

We really enjoyed our meals and I'm so glad we were able to eat here on this trip to Des Moines.

1  Thank tawney112
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Splash has fresh seafood flown in daily from around the country including Hawaii. My husband and I shared the scallops and he also had a half salad. For the entrees I went with the Splash Hawaiian sun snapper (cashew crusted fish with a sweet sauce that had pieces of banana in it) and my husband had the surf and turf fettuccine (with shrimp and steak.) We split the chocolate truffle cake for dessert. The scallops were huge and very yummy. Along with the scallops were potato cakes. However, the appetizer was just 2 scallops and 2 potato cakes (little pricy $13.) The half salad had lobster and gulf shrimp with what I would call a spicy thousand island dressing. Our entrees were very good and those portions were large and I ended up with a doggy bag. The dessert was good but not the best I have had. I probably wouldn't get dessert again. Our sever was excellent, she did a great job going over the menu as it was our first time eating here. Going to Splash has been on my Des Moines bucket list and we had a great time. However, I think the price will keep me from coming back again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

What is the deal with Splash love? I have eaten here many times, 7-8 yrs ago it was THE place to eat in Des Moines, especially those on expense accounts. It was classy and prestigious. Now, it's just worn out and average. First off, try ironing the white tablecloths. How long would that take? It makes a difference. Second, we always get seated in the window-ceiling room with it's is glaringly awful lighting. No one looks good in this light. Third-you're a seafood restaurant-why are your salt water tanks empty? 3 sad little fish in each-Why bother? Our server was slow and didn't even offer us bread or the "chef's complimentary plate". Everyone else got one. Wine pours are small and the wine by the glass menu is quite limited. almost forgot, dirty paper menus. We came because their restaurant Jethros (far superior in all ways) was offering $$ off.

1  Thank Oatbagg