“Worst place I ever ate at”
Review of Mr Filet Steakhouse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mr Filet Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Wow this was one of the worst places I ever ate at. Ordered a "steak sandwich" and they gave me a "steak burger" which consisted only of a piece of toast and a patty...Since this was my first time here, didn't really think anything of it until one of the employees comes by and tells me that I ordered a steak sandwich and I shouldn't have accepted what they gave me as obviously it's not a sandwich. And he immediately went on to say that he's not giving me a refund, which I didn't even ask for. He didn't even offer to get me the actual SANDWICH. This is the only place in America where a burger consists of a PIECE OF TOAST AND A PATTY. Biggest waste of $10 ever, I do not recommend to anyone. On top of that, the ventilation in this restaurant is horrible and it's filled with smoke from the grill.

3  Thank EdH50131

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great burgers and sandwiches. Very crowded at lunch, but the guys behind the grill were well organized and moved us through quickly. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered very much. I had the gyro and it was packed with meat.

1  Thank klynnbee
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been frequenting Mr. Filet's since I started working downtown several years ago. They are a friendly, locally-owned place serving fast, delicious breakfast and lunch. It gets busy so make sure you leave a little bit of time to get your food or call it in ahead of time. On several occasions I have ordered their Western Omelet for breakfast but their biscuits and gravy are also excellent. On this most recent visit, I ordered the ribeye dinner. At about $8 for a small-to-medium size steak, baked potato, slice of texas toast, and a side salad, it's an excellent bargain in the downtown Des Moines area. The steak was tender and cooked perfectly. Everything was hot and wonderful, as always!

1  Thank Diamond_Debutante
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This tiny restaurant in the basement is one Des Moines' true " hidden gems". Located in the basement if a downtown parking ramp (at 7th and High Streets), this family owned restaurant pay suitable homage to it's decidedly Greek heritage with some of the best grilled steaks and gyros to be found anywhere. But it is in the early mornings that this place truly shines with breakfasts that will keep you coming back again and again, as locals have for over forty years. What's so special?
It' the hash browns! Hands down. No question about....these spuds are the king of the breakfast platter! The secret? Well...that's just it. It's a secret...but you gotta start by baking them first.

Feeling adventurous? Try the Greek Omelet ...takes spiced gyros to a whole new level!

And the French fries that accompany the noon- time sandwiches and steaks? Don't get me started.....

Open Monday through Friday for breakfast and lunch only. Call ahead for take-away.

1  Thank David L
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Mr Filet is a down home restaurant. They serve breakfast and lunch. Their hamburgers are excellent. They grill the buns even! I also love their baked potatoes and gyros (the owner is Greek).. I hear their breakfasts are very good too, although I've never eaten there for breakfast.