“Birthday Dinner= absolutely delicious”
Review of 801 Chophouse

801 Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
801 Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 607 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th
Description: A late 1920"s New York City steak house interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, marble counter tops and high ceilings. 801 Chophouse offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Executive Chef, Brian Dennis creates a fresh sheet that highlights the unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half shell,four species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for the Grand Marnier Souffle made from scratch! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Farm Families pork chops and Colorado lamb. Customize your party from 6 to 65, the walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, the tables change for seating and conversation, and custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

Brought my mom here for her birthday and mine, and it was just fantastic. Our server, whose name I can't remember, mostly because I want to call her Candace (she looked like Candace Cameron-Bure) was great! Attentive and helpful with suggestions. She recommended the cream corn, which was local, fresh, and a delightful side choice to go with our entrees. I recommend the key lime pie for dessert also--such a unique take on it that still tasted like the key lime I know and love. Highly recommended!

Reviewed September 12, 2017

I love 801 Chophouse Steak! Everything is delicious and of great quality. I recommend everything. But you can never go wrong with their Steaks or Seafood. The filet, the ribeye, and crab legs. Yessss!!!! I try to stop in a couple of times a year as it seems like a "treat".

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Anything on the menu is certainly delicious. Some of the best meals I have ever had. Prime Rib is a 10 The Soufflé order must be made while ordering your entrees. Best ever

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Everything was great: the filet mignon was perfectly juicy, crabcake delicious, berry salad yummy, asparagus, lobster mac and cheese, lobster mashed potatoes, the Troon martini, souffle, cheesecake, and lava cake (something of the sort, can't recall the name, now). Attentive service. A hand made card was a nice touch and souffle on the house for my birthday, too.

Would recommend and would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 24, 2017

We have been in the Des Moines area for 10 years, and had always heard that 801 was the top restaurant, especially for special occasions. We went for our anniversary, but were not impressed by the restaurant. It was very good, yet not outstanding like many people have you believe.
The prime rib I had was fatty and tough, while the veal chop my wife ate was dry. The highligh were the appetizers, sides, and dessert - which was odd for a 'chophouse'. They treated us great, even decorated the table for our anniversary, so I wanted to give them a rave review. Unfortunately, they missed on the key part of the meal that night.

1  Thank Ludw1g