“Great Steaks, for a cost”
Review of 801 Chophouse

801 Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
801 Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 584 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th
Description: A late 1920"s New York City steak house interior with signature leather booths, cherry wood furnishings, wooden floors, marble counter tops and high ceilings. 801 Chophouse offers only the very finest and freshest meats, seafood, and vegetables available. Executive Chef, Brian Dennis creates a fresh sheet that highlights the unique weekly offerings. Seasonal fresh soups and salads, oysters on the half shell,four species of fresh fish, live Maine lobsters and king crab legs. Make sure to save room for the Grand Marnier Souffle made from scratch! Aged USDA Grade Prime Beef ONLY, Iowa Farm Families pork chops and Colorado lamb. Customize your party from 6 to 65, the walls reconfigure for the perfect amount of space, the tables change for seating and conversation, and custom menus range from cocktails and hors d'oeuvres to full course dining.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Pros: Their steaks rank in the top 5 that I've ever had. The filet mignon is thick, juicy, and full of flavor. The sides were all great. Atmosphere was very nice. It was an upscale private type dining.

Cons: Cost

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Luckily two things happened, first I got the $80 worth of food for $42 Groupon, then when I called for reservations the man who answered explained the $33 sunday Faire where your guests could get 3 courses for $33. For three of us, this made it almost affordable.
Appetizer, Lobster corn dog (yuck, husband liked, but my son and I didn't)
Salad: 801 Chop Salad, best part of my whole dinner. Very good.
Entree: 16oz Ribeye with Tuscan seasonings. Very good, meat melts in your mouth.
1lb baked potato with the works, OMG, I died and went to heaven!
Brownie Sundie, yuck, brownie was dry with chocolate ice cream, no syrups, yuck.
Hub said his prime rib was good. Son thought his filet mignon was tasteless but loved his mashed potatoes. There bread was great. Total with Groupon and tip $140. not too bad.
Waiter was attentive, no complaints. Just overall Hub & Son who got the Sunday Faire voted 3 and I voted 3 because of the appetizer and desert. Worth a trip though.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I went here for our anniversary. Our server was excellent. She brought a cart with the meat cuts to explain the options and was very knowledgeable. It was definitely pricey. Our bottle of wine (on the cheap end - $75), two entrees, two sides, coffee, and tip came up to $250. It was excellent though. I ordered the lollipop veal chop with a garlic butter and mushroom preparation. It was delicious, especially with that preparation. My husband had a ribeye, and it was good, but not great - too fatty and hard to cut. He wished he had ordered the NY strip instead. For sides (which are easily split by 2 people) we ordered the lobster mashed potatoes and the grilled asparagus. The mashed potatoes were awesome. We definitely enjoyed the atmosphere, as it was much nicer than the restaurants we usually go too (this price range was a major splurge for us). We were there on a Thursday also, so there were plenty of open tables and it was very private. They have a menu available on their website so you can check out the options and prices there. All in all, if you are looking to go all out, I'd recommend 801 Chop House. (*Also, we had a cocktail and appetizer at Centro before our reservation. It is 3 blocks from 801 so we parked and just walked between the two. That is also a nice place. I haven't had a full meal there, but the bar side was nice for a quick app and drinks)

Reviewed July 13, 2012

the cheapest bottle of wine is $60. the steak is incredible but very expensive. don't expect to pay less than $200 for a couple. still, the food was delicious. very difficult to find though for someone not from the city. it's in a big office building with no signage on Grand Ave for the restaurant.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Imagine eating a place that is reminiscent of the past -- a place you would see in TV shows like "Mad Men" or movies like "The Adjustment Bureau" -- this is the place. Think experience and not dinner. The booths and tables are rather private -- there are no loud crowds or drunk fratboys.
The food is incredible. 801 is known for its steak (hence its name). The server can bring out a tray stocked with the steak cuts and describe the marbling and taste. After selecting a cut, the server brings out bread.
The wine list is extensive -- expensive but extensive. This was one of the few restaurants I have been to that had meritages listed.
The steaks are a la carte -- but the sides you can order are good. The last time I went, I had steamed asparagus with butter and holandaise. My steak was great and I had a great time. I definitely recommend this place for dates, anniversaries, or special ocassions.