“Expensive downtown dining; some unique choices”

Exile Brewing Company
Ranked #15 of 579 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The second time we have dined here with our son and wife and our 3 yr. grandson. The ambience is nice, the waitress very attentive, and food served in a timely fashion. It is a "brewing" company, so a great focus on beer which I don't drink. I'd say it is more a singles and couples place than family. I have problems spending $12-15 on a hamburger. The food the rest of the family chose was enjoyed by them. By the time we left, our tab was $80 (for 4) which included only one beer. So almost $100 with tip. Good enough food--just pricey.

There are newer reviews for Exile Brewing Company

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I recently dined at Exile with co-workers and a client from NYC. Second time visiting Exile, first time eating. Beers were excellent. No complaints from me or my dining companions. Food was good. I had the Father Guido Sarducci burger. Ordered it medium well and it was all of that. Another diner ordered it medium and it had no pink at all. Something to consider when ordering a burger. Two diners had the pork shank. They loved it. Atmosphere is very cool. I will go back and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband & I visited on a Sunday evening so it was very quite. The interior is really fun, clean lines and a great lines. It was half price beers so although I am a wine gal 99% of the time I decided to give it a go and had my husband pick out a beer he thought I would enjoy and I did enjoy it!

We started with the buffalo chicken bites. The sauce was delicious creamy and spicy at the same time but the chicken was a little odd, fried strips of chicken that resembled calamari. It was tasty though. I had the pork shank which was delicious and enormous. It came bone on, and I took half of it home. The server boxed it for me. I had intended to take the bone home for my lab but she deboned the meat…so if you want the bone, speak up! My husband had a burger on a pretzel roll. The only negative of the meal was the bun was soggy on account of the burger being so juicy. I had the beer cheese soup as a side, it is very rich and hoppy you definitely can taste the beer. We split the rocky road ice cream pie for dessert, it was delicious and homemade. The service was fine, not exceptional but nothing to complain about. We will return.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I were at Exile Brewing for their one year celebration with bottomless mugs. We were there Friday, Saturnday and Sunday and tried many different items on the menu and sampled the different brews available.

The food was exceptional, they seem to have found the secret in producing food with flair in a pub enviroment. The french fries for example are some of the best that I have ever had. I will admit that some of the items on the menu are a bit odd, like the lamb sliders, but for those of you who drive the speed limit and stay inside of the lines, the hamburgers are done right.

We did not get a chance to sample any of the desserts, as we were too full of beer.. But look forward to going back to Exile Brewing many times in the future..

Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you are a beer lover - a good place to go. My husband loves craft beer - got a sampler and the server bet him he could not identify them all - server said he'd never lost the bet to pay for the beer if customer could guess - you take a description of the beers, taste them, and say which is which. My husband had 6 beers. AND HE WON. But we did not want the server to pay for the beers - however, he did take off the 4 sample beers when we got the bill. It was a fun game.
Outside patio is very nice int this weather. causal and a mixed crowd - not all youngsters, so us older folks did not feel out of place
food was ok - not as good as I had expected -but good - the sweet potato french fie appetizer was huge (I think that spoiled my appetite for my dinner) I had gnocchi and my husband had lasagne - the gnocchi was better choice - pretty taste sauce. But it just a nice place to relax for the evening.