“Disappointing”

Creme Cupcake + Dessert
Ranked #3 of 10 Bakeries in Des Moines
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Satisfy your sweet tooth with a little something from our bakery! From cupcakes (of course!) To plated desserts- we've got you covered. Thirsty? We carry coffee from Zanzibars, tea from Gong Fu, as well as a full bar!
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was my first time I had visited this place. I wanted to get a few cupcakes to go for my husband. I went on a Wednesday evening after work and knew that there would probably be a crowd. I got there and stood in line, there was just one person in front of me getting cupcakes to eat there. There were just two employees working at the time. There was a jewelry party going on as well, so there were quite a few people there. The person in front of me received their cupcake and then it was my turn. I stood there for 10 minutes while the girl behind the counter waited on the jewelry party people. This group had drink tickets and kept coming up to the counter, while I was in line, and cutting in front of me to get more drinks. While this was not the employee's fault that these women kept cutting in line, she did keep waiting on them! Just as I was about to turn around and walk out, the employee told me she would be right with me. So I waited a bit longer. While I was waiting I noticed one of the cupcakes had a hair coming out of the frosting. When the employee finally got to me I mentioned the hair to her. She said: "I noticed that about 2 hours ago, I was hoping no one would notice." What!!?? She did throw the cupcake away, but What??!! Was she planning on selling it? I got my cupcakes and left. Later that evening we went to eat the cupcakes, I had the chocolate covered strawberry and my husband had the red velvet. They were chewy and tasted as if the oil that was used had gone rancid. The only redeeming thing about the cupcakes was the frosting. Probably won't be returning.

3  Thank K B

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I went here twice and received each time a cupcake of differing flavor. They were both DRY! How on earth can this place make a dry cupcake??? Needless to say I may never go back.

1  Thank johnlwood
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stopped here for a post supper sweet and drink. It was crowded upon entry at 9 PM. Smelled of baking sweet goods. It is a small area so we took our group of 6 to the bar seats. A bonus is you get to watch them make the drinks which can be a show in itself. We ordered, received our waters and drinks pretty quickly. Sweets arrived quickly as well. Everything was fresh and warm. Drinks were good as well. Lighting is low so make the ambience comfortable. Family friendly. Bathrooms available. Friendly service. Parking is slightly difficult especially if you go during the day as the parking lots are reserved for local establishments and they won't allow you to park there. There is a definite market for this right now. People were swarming to this place. Nice area and a great stop when you are roaming the area. We will more than likely return if in the area.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Over promise of good tasting desserts. Like the idea of paring drinks with desserts but the desserts don't deliver and are over priced.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Since we have tried cupcakeries in Chicago, Denver, Washington DC - we had to try Creme Cupcake too. This place has great potential - it is in a neighborhood where smaller local business loyalty runs high, it has a niche concept of a bakery/bar with a nice atmosphere, and there isn't a lot of competition in the area just yet. Unlike any other cupcakery I have visited, this one had an inviting dine-in area that was filled with patrons who seemed to be enjoying being there and meeting others for cupcakes and drinks. Visually, most of the cupcakes seemed no more than what you would produce at home - not as "pretty" as they appear on their website. We tried five flavors: vanilla/vanilla, salty cinnamon caramel, root beer float, hello yellow, and chocolate/chocolate. The cake was a little dry on some of them, and we wondered if they were made much earlier in the day or perhaps had been frozen and thawed out before frosting. The flavor was very good though, both the cake and the especially the frosting were delicious. I do hope that the dry cake and presentation are improved, because this could be a top-notch cupcakery if they take the time to make these improvements. Cupcakes are $3 each, which is what the big name cupcakeries in Chicago charge, so they should be producing a product of comparable quality to justify the price (especially since $3 is actually high for pricing in the Midwest).

I gave a rating of "average" for food since the appearance and texture (dry) were "low" and the flavor was "very good". Sure hope this can become a "very good" or "excellent" in the future because I like this place!