“Like a neighborhood eatery, but with good food!”
Review of Wasabi Chi

Wasabi Chi
Ranked #42 of 574 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Description: Newly opened. Just reviewed today in The Des Moines Register Newspaper. Great value, service and sushi as well as various Asian dishes.
Des Moines, IA
“Like a neighborhood eatery, but with good food!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Wasabi Chi is a comfortable place with very considerate, welcoming employees. In past visits, I've found the sushi to be excellent. However, my Mom joined me for dinner last night and she doesn't appreciate sushi so we tried the Pad Thai and the Japanese fried rice. The Pad Thai was very tasty, but the texture would have been improved with more chopped peanuts. Mom enjoyed her fried rice, but would have liked a few vegetables with it. The shrimp tempura sampler was enjoyable, in fact I wish they'd offer more tempura entrees. Folks who are not sushi devotees can enjoy a good meal here, but the next time I head to Wasabi Chi it will be for the sushi.

• Visited April 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
“Amazing Sushi "Middle Ground"!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Whenever I go for sushi, I usually think "Do I want old-school, fish quality first sushi? (if so, I'd go to the East Village) OR, do I want some fun and artistic rolls? (if so, we'd go to one of the other spots around town)

Well, we found the best of both worlds. Tried Wasabi Chi soon after they opened, and the chefs and wait staff were working as a well oiled machine very early on. We found that the sashimi and nigiri were very fresh tasting, and the rolls were all really creative and delicious (recommend the Out of Control Roll, and the Oceans 3 roll).

After a few times in, the waitress was remembering my drink order, and bringing us the occasional complimentary or experimental appetizer or dessert. This is a VERY nice touch as a show of appreciation for the regulars that a lot of Des Moines restaurants just don't seem to do.

I'm a sushi fanatic, so that's my favorite part of the menu, but we've ventured off and found everything else is awesome too. A red curry that's great - with pineapple for an interesting twist. The calamari is a classic presentation, but always SUPER fresh and tender. The white tuna and kimchi is small, good for 2 people, but is SO good!!! And like one of the other reviewers mentioned, order the Rainbow Tower, and thank me later! (Rice, spicy tuna, avocado, and kani salad in a lovely presentation).

I could go on and on, and maybe I already have, but this place is definitely worth a visit or two or three. Jay, the head chef/owner is a really nice guy as well.

1 Thank hawkfan780
“Fabulous Sushi!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

One of my favorite sushi places in town. Love the specialty rolls and reasonable prices. Service is great too. Highly recommended

1 Thank dillyma
“Best sushi in town!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been coming here since they opened in late 2011. They are by far my favorite place to get sushi in the Des Moines area. Every roll I've tried I've liked. Some of my favorites that I can't get away from are the dynamite roll with fried scallops and advocado and the Des Moines roll. I would and do recommend this place to anyone who wants outstanding sushi.

1 Thank Jessica_Hippie
Des Moines, Iowa
“OMG!!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Cannot get enough of this place! Sushi is soooooo yummy and their rainbow tower appetizer is fantastic. My waitress brought this appetizer to my table, with two other girlfriends, without it being ordered. It was complimentary and AMAZING! I order it everytime I go now. Twins of the Sea Roll is to die for. It is an elegant sushi experience and their Lunch menu is very reasonable. Frankly I would pay a lot more for what you get which is why I always leave a very nice tip with my waiter/waitress. Awesome place!

• Visited February 2013