“A surprise in Des Moines” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Cheese Shop
Ranked #13 of 563 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Leandro, California
“A surprise in Des Moines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

A wonderful little cheese shop. I ended up tasting several delicious cheeses. The staff was very nice and knew their cheeses. If I lived in Des Moines, this would be a regular stop for me.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

The Colony, Texas
“OMG Cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Thank goodness I do not live in Iowa nor near this shop. The lady behind the counter out of the blue asked if we were interested in trying cheeses. She pulled out at least 6 or 7 cheeses for us to taste. I ended up getting cheese for dinner that evening.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Chad N
Des Moines, Iowa
“Casual and Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I have been here 3 times recently, so I thought it was time to write a review. Part cheese/meat/beer/wine retailer and part restaurant, this place has something for anyone looking for good food and drinks. Word of warning: the dining portion of the place only has seating for 15-20 people.....try to go during non-peak dining hours.

The menu can be fairly unique, but the employees are extremely helpful and polite. Take some chances and try something new. We especially enjoyed the face jam and cured meat plates. The pâté selection is also quite good on some nights. And of course, they have great cheeses.

It is a bit expensive, but aimed more towards a social setting for sharing than for an actual meal. Give it a try.....you won't regret it!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fiveyard81
Sartell
“A touch of Italy in Des Moines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This place is amazing. Quaint with an amazing cheese selection. Better yet, knowledable owners. We sampled, we learned and walked out repeat customers. The shop warmth and selection reminded me of a great cheese store in Florence. Bliss in Des Moines.

1 Thank Terri E
Waterloo, Iowa
“Feed your inner Epicurean...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

While traveling through D.M. I stopped here today to treat myself and now by coincidence, I turned on Iowa Public TV tonight and found the re-run of the show, Iowa Ingredient, highlighting this wonderful shop and their chef! The shop's selection of cheese is exceptional...after trying many different kinds I decided on a French Gruyere and Flory's Truckle (which I didn't know was from Van Buren County Iowa's own Milton Creamery until I saw the label! I love the Milton Creamery and their Prairie Breeze cheese). The staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Visiting The Cheese Shop is a must when I am in Des Moines. After you find wonderful cheeses, visit the Vom Fass and La Mie Bakery just a few doors down and get specialty vinegars/oils/spirits and French breads, etc. with which to enjoy with your cheese. All places are easy to find, there is parking in the back and you won't be sorry...the unassuming building right off of I-235 on 42nd street is host to a flavorful and sophisticated trio of specialty culinary shops in Des Moines!