“Great staff as always”

Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Bushnell, Illinois
“Great staff as always”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Got in late after I cubs game front desk guy was awesome.. got us checked in quick and helped us with late night supper phone number for delivery..room and rates are good.. will keep staying here on baseball trips

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wesley, IA
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business for three nights. The lobby and hallways smelled of cigarette smoke continuously, like a casino hotel. Front desk help was not friendly, just transactional.

Upon entering my room, I first noticed it had a door connecting it to the next door room. I hate that because sound comes right through. I'd rather have solid walls. Sure enough, I was awakened by the couple next door!... The room had no mini fridge or microwave. Every surface was scuffed. Carpet and furniture looked cheap and dated. The mattress was so hard, I laid on a row of pillows!

Breakfast was your basic continental. They were out of one of their two juices. My bagel was completely stale.

I would not go back if you paid me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Sorry to say you have the WRONG hotel. We cannot find you registered at this location.
West Burlington Iowa
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were tired after driving for 4 hours, to find the woman at the front desk VERY rude. We brought along our older son, so he could stay with his brother in des moines. Before we even got into the door of the hotel room, she was calling and hollering about how we had too many people in the room. strike one..stalker. then when I took the younger children to see the pool, which was not uncovered at 3 :30 in the afternoon, another woman was mopping the lobby. With no sign in sight, we proceeded towards the pool. When I stepped onto the wet floor I fell and injured my back. The rude woman at the fronst desk just looked at me. We were finally able to get the woman to uncover the pool, and my husband and older son were coming to join us in the pool area. The woman yelled that we had to pay $10 for anyone else to swim. I promptly found another reservation for the next night, cancelled with Daysinn and paid the $10. The woman wanted me to pay in cash, but I did not, I paid with my card. This was the absolute WORST experience we have EVER had!! I will NEVER subject my children to one of your hotels EVER again!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

aminalka0403, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
I read all your concerns and will respond accordingly. First of all your reservation was only for 2a&3c. Any extra person would violate our state fire code and that was the only reason we asked about him. As I explained to you about the covered pool when you were checking in was to keep the pool nicely heated and not let it evaporate when not in use, and will uncover as soon as someone is ready to swim. As for the floor to be wet there were 2 wet floor cones sitting at each enterances of the lobby and there is even a stick on sign on the pool door, sorry, you didn't see any of these signs. As for the $10.00 extra person charge there is already a sign on the counter since he was NOT a registered guest and I gave you an option of cash or cc.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#30 of 48 in Des Moines
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay? Share your experiences!