“misrepresented $50 deposit” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Oregon, Ohio
“misrepresented $50 deposit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I checked into this hotel late one night. A sign on the desk stated you must pay a $50 deposit and if you used a credit card you had to remember to call and have it removed from your card in 3 weeks or you lost it. If you paid cash you got it back at checkout. The sign said it was Days Inn policy. I checked with their corporate office and they have no such policy. I was heading home from vacation but fortunately had $50 cash left. I have traveled a lot of years and stayed in a lot of hotels and this is the first time I came across such a thing. If I had put it on my credit card chances are good I would have forgotten about and lost the $50. I would be interested in knowing how much money they make off of this scheme. If it wasn't so late and I wasn't so tired I would have searched for another place to stay. I would not stay there again. Beware

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bob L
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
While it is certainly true that we do have a local policy that any guests paying cash or those guests who make their reservations thru 3rd parties are required to put a deposit of $50.00 down either in cash or on a credit/debit card we find it hard to believe that were are the exception. We do not make a profit by "holding on" to someone's credit or debit card, but we have managed to recoup losses for damaged and stole property as well as excessive phone charges or other violations of motel policy. Had we not had the deposit, this property would not have been able to recoup our losses. We do not consider this an inconvenience for our guests, but rather a good sound financial decision to maintain the quality of the property. In addition, the sign at our desk does not say that this is a DAYS-INN POLICY, rather it states that this is "OUR Days-Inn policy".

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Dated but fairly clean hotel; everything in the room, from the TV to the sink to the bedspread is old and shows war. But reasonably clean. Unfortunately, it's right next to a bar. If you're completely deaf, or secretly love the roar of competitive revving motorcycles at 1 am, followed by cackling from drunk idiots, this place is fine. If you have to work, have kids, or otherwise need a good night's sleep, give this palce a miss. I've gotten more rest in my back seat at a rest stop.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
The establishment I believe you are talking about is a sports café directly across the parking lot from our property. They do advertise a Bike Night on Thursdays and this normally brings in a dozen or so bikes. However, at no time have I received any complaints about the noise going past 9pm. Since the motel does sit on a frontage road, two doors down from a Gas Station it is possible that the noise you heard was from passing motorcyclists. If you had heard any noise that cause disruption in your sleep, you should have called the front desk to have it contained or taken care of. My records do not show any complaints during your stay about excessive noise or disturbances in the parking lot.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We arrived to this hotel at 4:00 am after a long day of driving and gladly paid full price for a room. At 11:05 we were awoke by a hotel staff member standing in the room looking at us asleep in our beds. The manager insists that they called and knocked, but this is irrelevant as the housekeeper walked through our door, past a counter of toiletries and clear to the foot of two beds with people sleeping in them. The individual didn't even turn around until we woke up so we don't even know how long they were in there. The front desk manager was extremely focused on the fact that her staff had knocked, but was completely unwilling to acknowledge that her staff had made us feel extremely uncomfortable and unsafe. In addition. The hotel room was filthy (as expected for a cheap hotel) but particularly egregious was the a/c cover and filter which were so caked with dirt that we had to simply remove them to get any airflow through the room. It is clear that this manager has a cheap and unprofessional housekeeping and maintenance staff. Don't stay at this hotel unless you want to give away your privacy and have your needs as a tired traveler and paying customer completely ignored.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dshoffmann
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I have read your posting and will address your concerns in this e-mail; I initially attempted to contact you via telephone at 11:00 am to see if you were staying over for another day as 11:00 am is check-out. When there was no answer, I instructed the head house-keeper to check the room for occupancy and have the room serviced. She knocked on the door several times and after receiving no response she opened the door announced herself as "housekeeping" and then entered the room. As soon as she noticed the room was still occupied, she immediately exited and contacted me, the Manager on Duty. I then called the room again and this time you answered the call. You immediately said that you thought check-out time was 12:00 pm and that you woke up to find house-keepers in your room. You demanded that a manager immediately come to your room and which time I said I am extremely busy at the front desk and will not come to your room. I told you to check-out and come to the desk. You asked me to call you back just to ensure your phone was working, which I did and it did. When you checked-out, you complained about the staff just walking into your room and I again explained what had happened and why it happened in that order. I confirmed with the desk agent who had checked you in and she said she told you the check-out time of 11:00 am and at no time did you request a late check-out.
Roseburg, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We've not had great luck with Days Inns and this was no exception. For those who smoke (not us) they do have smoking rooms and a sort of game room with pool table, etc. The room seemed clean and was comfortable but towards morning we were awakened by the scrabbling of a mouse. Not a favorable experience. The breakfast was pathetic - not much besides toast. We were given a slight discount because of the mouse, but we would go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
aminalka0403, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I have read your comments on trip advisory and will address your concerns. We apologize for the mouse and have contacted Orkin to have this problem resolved. Contrary to your comments, the majority of the other guests who stayed with us raved about our continental breakfast. I myself assisted in the dismantling of our breakfast at 10:00 am and there was still plenty of biscuits and gravy, fresh fruits, an entire tray of pasteries and plenty of milk and cold cereals. In addition, our waffle makers were still up and functioning at 10:00 am.