“Great value!”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stockton, IL
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this Days Inn. The staff was very nice and very helpful. The breakfast was really good. Everything was neat and clean. We will be staying there in the future when we visit our grandson and great grandchildren.

Room Tip: Stay on the north side, away from the McDonald's drive thru. Someone checking in at the same ti...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ben Lomond, California
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly! I ended up staying in Des Moines twice as long as I had expected due to a family illness. The night clerk and the manager were very supportive and gave me a good deal when I had to extend my stay. The indoor pool and hot tub were a real plus since I like to swim in the evening. The included breakfast was fairly standard, but good. The rooms are clean and spacious. Derry's bar, located in the back of the motel, has great local atmosphere and a friendly bar tender. It felt like the Cheers tavern - as seen on TV! I like rooms with value, this was a great choice for me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
STANTON
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Rooms were not very clean, the manager was so rude, comforter had cigarette burns and other stains, and the pool was shut down by 5 every night so you couldn't go swim

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

aminalka0403, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I have read your complaint and will address your concerns in my response. I have spoken to the two other managers and they state they never spoke to you or were aware of any complaints you had as no one requested or asked for any of the managers. You were moved from your initial room of 123 because you said the room was filthy and there was blood all over the bathroom. Ellen (Our Front Desk Agent) accomodated you and moved you to another room. Ellen states that she went into room 123 to check your concerns. Ellen states emphatically that the room was very clean and there was no hint of blood or any other stains in the bathroom.

The manager on duty says at no time was our pool ever shut or locked before 10pm. He further states that at no time is aware of our Motel ever putting a comforter that has stains and cigarette burns. He states our policy has always been to dispose of any bedding which becomes stained our damaged.

If you could be specific and inform me of the Manager you spoke to, who was alledgedly rude, I will address those concerns after conducting a very thorough investigation. I take a lack of customer service very seriously and will take steps, if necessary, to ensure that does not occur again.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and sincerely wish you had asked for me or any of my subordinate managers. I am sure, given the chance, we would have made your stay exceptional.
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great for the price, areas were clean, staff was friendly. Continental breakfast was sufficient. On site bar was a nice retreat, better access would be suggested. The price was very cheap considering the quality, great for a one night stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were very happy with our room, it was clean, felt safe and secure and the help was very friendly. however when we booked our stay 3 things helped made our decision 1st was price, second was pool and third was the game room. when we got to the game room only 2 out of i think 6 games worked I was VERY disappointed in this. the other thing I found odd and a bit annoying was that there wasn’t a place to change in the pool. these being the only two complaints our stay was good but the game room needs repairs before being used as a selling point.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
aminalka0403, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I have read your complaint regarding our property and will address your concerns with my reply. On the date of your stay, there were 11 games in the game room, including our air-hockey machine. The previous day of your stay, a guest had complained that the games (monopoly and "games of thrones") had not given them credit after they had inserted their money. In complaint of this sort we immediately place the game out of order, refund the money to our guests and notify the vendor. The vendor notified us that the machines were fine and they were placed back into service. At no time during your stay were there more then two games out of service. Had you addressed your concerns to the desk, we would have gladly answered your questions at that time. I personally guarantee you that all of our games are well maintained and I will never tolerate our amusement/game room becoming sub-par. Should you chose to stay with us again, I can personally assure you that I will guarantee your satisfaction with our game room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#30 of 48 in Des Moines
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay? Share your experiences!