“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Readlyn, Iowa
“WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We had a group of 6 people staying here and we booked 2 joining rooms, we had 3 adults and 3 minors. I did not book the room but my 19 year old cousin did, before even booking the room she called and asked how old you had to be to check in here and what the cancellation policy was, the lady said 18 and we weren't allow to cancel, so she proceeded to make a reservation online. Ended up being charged almost 2 weeks before we were even planning on staying there. Before even arriving that day called to check the address, we could not understand the person on the phone and was very obnoxious about it. When we arrived she went inside to check in, they asked for her ID and saw that she was 19 the lady (whose name is Alka and also the owner) asked her very rudely if she had anyone in our group that was 21 or older and she said no and Alka said that she would be checking up on us since we weren't 21 and would be charged an extra $20 because she didn't put that we had 6 people staying when we reserved for only 4 which was not true and also wasn't allowed to pay cash for this, was made to put it on her card since she made the reservation with a card. (made it seem like since we were younger she could take advantage of the situation) We went into the rooms and didn't notice anything wrong at first and left to go eat somewhere when we came back to go to sleep we found a blood stain on one of the beds and spider on the wall, we did not contact the front desk about this because we knew they would assume we did it since they already made us feel like children. Had no other problems until we returned home and realized we left an expensive swimming suit hanging on the bathroom door, called the hotel and Alka answered the phone and proceeded to tell her we left an item there she responded rudely saying to call back in an hour and hung up, called back an hour later and it was Alka again she rudely said that they couldnt find it and didnt have it there even though we knew exactly where we left it, when told her she was being rude to us she said "I was being rude to you, how is that?" asked to speak to the manager and she said very snotty, "You are speaking to the owner and I told you we don't have your swimsuit."

When getting off the phone with her I decided to call the corporate office and first talked to a lady named Justin? and said I wanted to file a complaint about a hotel, she put me on hold for over 10 minutes before I finally got through to a lady named kelly when tried telling her i had a complaint about a hotel she wouldnt even talk to me, she had to talk to the person who made the reservation and she was not here with me so i hung up.

I will never stay in a Days Inn hotel ever again!! Have never been treated so rudely in my life or with the worst customer service! I am 20 years old, I am not a child I do not need to be told that i will be checked up on, we have 18 years old fighting a war but we can't have 19 and 20 year olds check into a hotel without getting the third degree. We have filed a complaint on the Days Inn corporate website also. Alka should not be running a hotel or any other place that involves customer service she is very rude and all she cares about is getting her money and not about the overall stay of someone. I will be telling everyone about this place and recommend no one stays here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

The staff was VERY rude. When I went to check in, she checked my ID and found out I was 19. She then told me that they would come and check-up on us, since I was not 21. Although she had already taken out the money from my account 9 days prior to my arrival. I had 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each room, she asked me how many people would be staying, I informed her there was 3 adults. She charged me an additional fee of $20 for 2 extra people.

I made the reservations 10 days in advance. I wanted to call and cancel a room a few days before my arrival because some of my friends could not make it; but I was told they have a no cancellation policy.

Then we got to our room and there were bugs crawling around the rooms, and one of the beds had blood on the sheets.

Besides the fact that the staff was rude to me when I was there; I got home and realized I had forgotten my Victoria's Secret, $75 swimsuit, hanging on the back-side of the bathroom door. When I called to inquire about if they had found it, she again was rude to me and acted like I was bothering her and told me I had to call back in an hour. When I called back she said, "Nope, we didn't find it," and rushed me off the phone, like it was no big deal to her. I know it's only a swimsuit, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal, except she was just so rude about it.

Then I found out that the lady who checked me in, checked me out, and talked to me on the phone so rudely was the owner, Alka.

I do not know why Days Inn would want to be associated with this hotel. Days Inn has lost my business, my family's business, and all of my friend's business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
jerrywho25, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
As our guest, you can expect wam hospitality and clean comfortable rooms.
When problems or issues are reported during the stay , we make sure that a fix is provided right away.However, it is hard to fix problems when they are addressed after a guest stay.
The sooner we are notified the faster we can address and find resolutions.

As for the staff rudness, I was simply following check in procedures, starting with checking ID. As our property do not allow patrons under 21 yrs of age to check in due to A LOUNGE on the premises I had to tell we will be keeping an eye on you.

As for your reservation YOU made and got a SSP rate of BUY NOW RATE, which was non-refundable and non-cancelable. It even says your credit card will be charged as soon as you get your confirmation.

As for extra people charges, had you put in the right amount the rate would have come ourt RIGHT and I would not need to charge you at the desk.

Sorry, to say we did not find your swimsuit and that is EXACTLY what I told you when you called.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.

general manager
MADISON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I traveled to Des Moines with my sister, her husband and grand daughter. They are being relocated there from Madison, WI and were looking for a place to live. We had 2 rooms adjoining, one King and one double Queen. We had an excellent experience with the hotel and especially the staff. Mike and the rest of the management and housekeeping and maintenance staff were the best! The breakfasts were awesome, more that "continental" including fresh fruits and biscuits and gravy. We were there for 3 nights and I would stay there again when I go to visit them after they move. The only draw back was that the hotel has a lounge/bar located under the 1st level where we were staying. As long as we kept the AC fan going, we couldn't always hear the music or the smokers out in the parking lot. Who ever decided to put that there made a poor decision. Nice pool and hot tub!

Room Tip: Don't sleep on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jerrywho25, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thank you for your compliments. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us.
Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Our greatest compliment is for you to return to us for THE BEST VALUE UNDER THE SUN.
We hope to see you soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this motel in early July on our way home to Indiana from Colorado. We checked in late and were very tired, so didn't notice this but in the morning there were ants crawling on both side tables and a few in our bed. I took pictures and went down to the front desk to inform of this and get our money back. The woman working the desk was only willing to give us a 25% discount (which still amounts to $60 for the room) even though I had an ant crawling on me RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. I called the hotel to speak with the manager when we returned home and she was not willing to do ANYTHING for us, and actually tried to tell me that they had checked the room over when we left and that there were no ants. Like I said, I have documentation that they were there. I will NEVER stay at this or any Days Inn again if this is how they are going to treat customers. The manager also hung up on me when I brought up contacting a lawyer, and the fact that I would be informing family and friends not to stay there. I wasn't rude, didn't raise my voice or cuss at the manager at all. She just wasn't interested in hearing me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jerrywho25, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.
Immediate action was taken after the incident was reported and had Orkin Pest Control come to the hotel, EVEN though we didnt find anything after you checked out . I believe 25% off discount is appropriate, which is only $50.00 a room, rest was tax.
I certainly did not hang up on you BUT told you to contact your lawyer if thats you feel appropriate, was never rude and told you to have a nice day before ending the conversation.

Again, sorry for the inconvience!

general manager
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Received a decent rate last minute and stayed here. Some shady individuals were checking in the same time we were and the hotel basically shared a parking lot with the next door biker bar. Room was decent enough for a 7-hour sleep, but experienced an incident that solidified the fact that we will not stay here again:

After check-out, my husband tells me that our rate on the bill was more than what we had booked it at. I figured this was just an oversight and told my husband I would take care of it while he packed the car with my daughter.

When I showed the desk person our bill and the confirmation email I had received the night before, she looked up our account and said that though our original reservation was for 2 adults and 1 child, someone noted on our bill the night before that we had walked into the hotel as a party of 3 adults and 1 child. I thought this was a joke. I brought up to the desk person that she had seen my husband, daughter, and me sitting together (by ourselves) at breakfast as well and witnessed the three of us just walk out the front door together...just the 3 of us. She said there was nothing she could do because someone had seen an extra person the night before.

I went out to the car to tell my husband what had happened and he was furious. Rather than coming inside to make a scene, he reminded me that when we walked into the front lobby doors the previous night, there was a man who held the door for us and walked closely behind us into the hotel, past the front desk, and down the hall, but he had gone into a room a few doors before our room. I remembered this man and went back inside to speak with the desk person again.

I told the clerk about the man and pointed to the security cameras on the desk. I said that she could rewind to 11:30 pm the prior night and see that the man went into a different room. Rather than look at the footage, she reluctantly adjusted our rate to the original and reprinted our bill. I told her thank you and left.

First of all, if I wanted to sneak an extra person into our hotel room, I would have used one of the side entrances and not walked right past the front desk when we checked in. Second of all (and most importantly), I was extremely disappointed that we were not informed of the changes to our bill at check-out. Rather than discuss the issue civilly before we signed the bill, I was forced to defend ourselves after the fact because we were accused of being liars. I realize that this was not the desk person's fault...she was just following the instructions of the person the night before. I understand that some individuals try to scheme the system, but I feel like I should not have been brought on the verge of tears because someone was calling me and my family liars.

My family frequently makes the drive from Chicago to Kansas and have been searching for a regular hotel in Des Moines to stop at during our journey. After this incident, I am certain that we will not be staying at this hotel in the future.

Also, tried to write an email to the hotel owners using the email on the bill and on the hotel's business card, but the address does not exist and the email bounced back. I suppose this tripadvisor review will have to do.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all feedback from our guests.Whether it good or bad. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. It is our job to make sure our guests are happy and we obviously failed to do so.

We absolutely do not share a parking space with the next door bar. You obviously missed the the big heavy barrackets dividing our parking lots. Sorry to say we cannot help who our neighbours are

The shady individuals checking in the same time were human beings same as you and guest paying customers for us.

As for your incident about extra charges I truly apologize for what you had to go thru with my front desk agent and have talked to ALL of them about it.

Once again really sorry and hope you would give us another chance.

general manger
Cumberland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We found the manager very willing to accommodate our special needs. room was clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast area was clean and easy to navigate, with what I would call continental breakfast "plus". Staff was friendly, helpful and pleasant. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karyn H
jerrywho25, Owner at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to privide your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extrmely valuable to us.

I concur with you, we are proud of our staff, their friendliness and professionalism. We train our staff continuously and make sure they excel in our SERVICE PROMISE training that focuses on Guest Services, Housekeeping and Cleanliness.

We hope to be of service to you in future. If i can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 515-278-5511

alka
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at in my 30 years of traveling. To start things off the front desk clerk who checked me in was very rude and unhelpful. I later learned she was one of the owners. The stay at this flea bag hotel went from bad to horrible. The rooms are old, musty and smell of smoke. To make things worse the hotel rents space to a lounge (biker bar) at the rear of the building. My room overlooked the rear parking lot above the lounge. At 11:00 pm, 12:00am, and 2:00 am I was awoke by the lounge patrons, yelling, screaming, fighting, and revving their car engines on the parking lot. The front desk personnel were of no help even after I visited the front desk twice. The lounge parking lot finally quieted down at 2:30 am after I opened my window and yelled at them to be quiet. To make things worse, when I visited the front desk clerk, who identified herself as the owner the next day she explained to me the lounge guests on the hotel parking lot are not are not her responsibility. The front desk clerk/owner was extremely uncooperative and rude. It’s hard to believe but this hotel sullies the Days Inn company reputation. The Days Inn parent company would be wise to revoke their franchise agreement with this nasty place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Frequent T
jerrywho25, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. We appreciate all feedback from our guests; whether it is good or bad.

We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. The intention was never to have the guest feel that the apology was insincere and made to feel like the situation was not important.

Our pride has been that we strive to go beyond our guest's expectations and clearly we did not fulfill that in this situation.

The bar that has been mentioned in your comment is owned by another party that has no relations to our hotel. We can not manage the behavior of their patrons but we can certainly request the management of the bar when there is a situation like this. This is exactly
what we did upon learning your complaint.

Please rest assured and know that we will go above and beyond and do everything in our power to make it right and earn back your respect, trust and business.

I hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you.

Alka Amin