We had a group of 6 people staying here and we booked 2 joining rooms, we had 3 adults and 3 minors. I did not book the room but my 19 year old cousin did, before even booking the room she called and asked how old you had to be to check in here and what the cancellation policy was, the lady said 18 and we weren't allow to cancel, so she proceeded to make a reservation online. Ended up being charged almost 2 weeks before we were even planning on staying there. Before even arriving that day called to check the address, we could not understand the person on the phone and was very obnoxious about it. When we arrived she went inside to check in, they asked for her ID and saw that she was 19 the lady (whose name is Alka and also the owner) asked her very rudely if she had anyone in our group that was 21 or older and she said no and Alka said that she would be checking up on us since we weren't 21 and would be charged an extra $20 because she didn't put that we had 6 people staying when we reserved for only 4 which was not true and also wasn't allowed to pay cash for this, was made to put it on her card since she made the reservation with a card. (made it seem like since we were younger she could take advantage of the situation) We went into the rooms and didn't notice anything wrong at first and left to go eat somewhere when we came back to go to sleep we found a blood stain on one of the beds and spider on the wall, we did not contact the front desk about this because we knew they would assume we did it since they already made us feel like children. Had no other problems until we returned home and realized we left an expensive swimming suit hanging on the bathroom door, called the hotel and Alka answered the phone and proceeded to tell her we left an item there she responded rudely saying to call back in an hour and hung up, called back an hour later and it was Alka again she rudely said that they couldnt find it and didnt have it there even though we knew exactly where we left it, when told her she was being rude to us she said "I was being rude to you, how is that?" asked to speak to the manager and she said very snotty, "You are speaking to the owner and I told you we don't have your swimsuit."
When getting off the phone with her I decided to call the corporate office and first talked to a lady named Justin? and said I wanted to file a complaint about a hotel, she put me on hold for over 10 minutes before I finally got through to a lady named kelly when tried telling her i had a complaint about a hotel she wouldnt even talk to me, she had to talk to the person who made the reservation and she was not here with me so i hung up.
I will never stay in a Days Inn hotel ever again!! Have never been treated so rudely in my life or with the worst customer service! I am 20 years old, I am not a child I do not need to be told that i will be checked up on, we have 18 years old fighting a war but we can't have 19 and 20 year olds check into a hotel without getting the third degree. We have filed a complaint on the Days Inn corporate website also. Alka should not be running a hotel or any other place that involves customer service she is very rude and all she cares about is getting her money and not about the overall stay of someone. I will be telling everyone about this place and recommend no one stays here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently Located 1 Mile From Merle Hay Hall And Close To Restaurants And Theatres Enjoy your Heartland stop at our Days Inn Des Moines / Merle Hay hotel near Living History Farms. Located just off Interstate 35 / 80 in the northwestern corner of the city, our Des Moines, IA, hotel offers easy access to Saylorville Lake and downtown while providing comfortable accommodations at a great rate. Swim in the indoor pool, soak in the whirlpool or play games in the two-story game room before grabbing an evening drink in the on-site lounge, Derry's. In-room amenities include free Wi-Fi Internet access, microwave and refrigerator. Handicapped-accessible rooms are available, and kids 17 and under stay free with an adult at our hotel in Des Moines, Iowa. Start your day with free Daybreak continental breakfast before heading out. LOCAL ATTRACTIONS From our Des Moines, IA, hotel, you can stroll The Principal Riverwalk - a recently completed project that includes trails, a garden and skating plaza along the Des Moines River - or walk through Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Slide down the water rides and roller coasters at Adventureland amusement park, just 15 minutes west of our hotel in Altoona, or indulge in some adult fun at Prairie Meadows racetrack and casino, also in Altoona. Spend a day on the water at Saylorville Lake or Grays's lake for slower-paced activities like fishing, hiking and boating. DINING OPTIONS There are over a dozen restaurants to choose from within a mile of our Des Moines, IA, hotel, including Bennigan's, Perkins, Felix & Oscars and Carlos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe. Head to downtown hotspots in the revitalized East Village area or near the Iowa Events center for dozens more options. BUSINESS AND EVENT FACILITIES We offer meeting space for your upcoming event, as well as copy and fax services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn - Des Moines Merle Hay Hotel Des Moines
- Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay Iowa