“Excellent Staff”

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I traveled to Des Moines with my sister, her husband and grand daughter. They are being relocated there from Madison, WI and were looking for a place to live. We had 2 rooms adjoining, one King and one double Queen. We had an excellent experience with the hotel and especially the staff. Mike and the rest of the management and housekeeping and maintenance staff were the best! The breakfasts were awesome, more that "continental" including fresh fruits and biscuits and gravy. We were there for 3 nights and I would stay there again when I go to visit them after they move. The only draw back was that the hotel has a lounge/bar located under the 1st level where we were staying. As long as we kept the AC fan going, we couldn't always hear the music or the smokers out in the parking lot. Who ever decided to put that there made a poor decision. Nice pool and hot tub!

Room Tip: Don't sleep on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
jerrywho25, Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Thank you for your compliments. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us.
Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
Our greatest compliment is for you to return to us for THE BEST VALUE UNDER THE SUN.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this motel in early July on our way home to Indiana from Colorado. We checked in late and were very tired, so didn't notice this but in the morning there were ants crawling on both side tables and a few in our bed. I took pictures and went down to the front desk to inform of this and get our money back. The woman working the desk was only willing to give us a 25% discount (which still amounts to $60 for the room) even though I had an ant crawling on me RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. I called the hotel to speak with the manager when we returned home and she was not willing to do ANYTHING for us, and actually tried to tell me that they had checked the room over when we left and that there were no ants. Like I said, I have documentation that they were there. I will NEVER stay at this or any Days Inn again if this is how they are going to treat customers. The manager also hung up on me when I brought up contacting a lawyer, and the fact that I would be informing family and friends not to stay there. I wasn't rude, didn't raise my voice or cuss at the manager at all. She just wasn't interested in hearing me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
jerrywho25, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.
Immediate action was taken after the incident was reported and had Orkin Pest Control come to the hotel, EVEN though we didnt find anything after you checked out . I believe 25% off discount is appropriate, which is only $50.00 a room, rest was tax.
I certainly did not hang up on you BUT told you to contact your lawyer if thats you feel appropriate, was never rude and told you to have a nice day before ending the conversation.

Again, sorry for the inconvience!

alka amin
general manager

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Received a decent rate last minute and stayed here. Some shady individuals were checking in the same time we were and the hotel basically shared a parking lot with the next door biker bar. Room was decent enough for a 7-hour sleep, but experienced an incident that solidified the fact that we will not stay here again:

After check-out, my husband tells me that our rate on the bill was more than what we had booked it at. I figured this was just an oversight and told my husband I would take care of it while he packed the car with my daughter.

When I showed the desk person our bill and the confirmation email I had received the night before, she looked up our account and said that though our original reservation was for 2 adults and 1 child, someone noted on our bill the night before that we had walked into the hotel as a party of 3 adults and 1 child. I thought this was a joke. I brought up to the desk person that she had seen my husband, daughter, and me sitting together (by ourselves) at breakfast as well and witnessed the three of us just walk out the front door together...just the 3 of us. She said there was nothing she could do because someone had seen an extra person the night before.

I went out to the car to tell my husband what had happened and he was furious. Rather than coming inside to make a scene, he reminded me that when we walked into the front lobby doors the previous night, there was a man who held the door for us and walked closely behind us into the hotel, past the front desk, and down the hall, but he had gone into a room a few doors before our room. I remembered this man and went back inside to speak with the desk person again.

I told the clerk about the man and pointed to the security cameras on the desk. I said that she could rewind to 11:30 pm the prior night and see that the man went into a different room. Rather than look at the footage, she reluctantly adjusted our rate to the original and reprinted our bill. I told her thank you and left.

First of all, if I wanted to sneak an extra person into our hotel room, I would have used one of the side entrances and not walked right past the front desk when we checked in. Second of all (and most importantly), I was extremely disappointed that we were not informed of the changes to our bill at check-out. Rather than discuss the issue civilly before we signed the bill, I was forced to defend ourselves after the fact because we were accused of being liars. I realize that this was not the desk person's fault...she was just following the instructions of the person the night before. I understand that some individuals try to scheme the system, but I feel like I should not have been brought on the verge of tears because someone was calling me and my family liars.

My family frequently makes the drive from Chicago to Kansas and have been searching for a regular hotel in Des Moines to stop at during our journey. After this incident, I am certain that we will not be staying at this hotel in the future.

Also, tried to write an email to the hotel owners using the email on the bill and on the hotel's business card, but the address does not exist and the email bounced back. I suppose this tripadvisor review will have to do.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all feedback from our guests.Whether it good or bad. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. It is our job to make sure our guests are happy and we obviously failed to do so.

We absolutely do not share a parking space with the next door bar. You obviously missed the the big heavy barrackets dividing our parking lots. Sorry to say we cannot help who our neighbours are

The shady individuals checking in the same time were human beings same as you and guest paying customers for us.

As for your incident about extra charges I truly apologize for what you had to go thru with my front desk agent and have talked to ALL of them about it.

Once again really sorry and hope you would give us another chance.

alka amin
general manger

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We found the manager very willing to accommodate our special needs. room was clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast area was clean and easy to navigate, with what I would call continental breakfast "plus". Staff was friendly, helpful and pleasant. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karyn H
jerrywho25, Owner at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to privide your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extrmely valuable to us.

I concur with you, we are proud of our staff, their friendliness and professionalism. We train our staff continuously and make sure they excel in our SERVICE PROMISE training that focuses on Guest Services, Housekeeping and Cleanliness.

We hope to be of service to you in future. If i can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 515-278-5511

alka

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at in my 30 years of traveling. To start things off the front desk clerk who checked me in was very rude and unhelpful. I later learned she was one of the owners. The stay at this flea bag hotel went from bad to horrible. The rooms are old, musty and smell of smoke. To make things worse the hotel rents space to a lounge (biker bar) at the rear of the building. My room overlooked the rear parking lot above the lounge. At 11:00 pm, 12:00am, and 2:00 am I was awoke by the lounge patrons, yelling, screaming, fighting, and revving their car engines on the parking lot. The front desk personnel were of no help even after I visited the front desk twice. The lounge parking lot finally quieted down at 2:30 am after I opened my window and yelled at them to be quiet. To make things worse, when I visited the front desk clerk, who identified herself as the owner the next day she explained to me the lounge guests on the hotel parking lot are not are not her responsibility. The front desk clerk/owner was extremely uncooperative and rude. It’s hard to believe but this hotel sullies the Days Inn company reputation. The Days Inn parent company would be wise to revoke their franchise agreement with this nasty place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Frequent T
jerrywho25, General Manager at Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. We appreciate all feedback from our guests; whether it is good or bad.

We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. The intention was never to have the guest feel that the apology was insincere and made to feel like the situation was not important.

Our pride has been that we strive to go beyond our guest's expectations and clearly we did not fulfill that in this situation.

The bar that has been mentioned in your comment is owned by another party that has no relations to our hotel. We can not manage the behavior of their patrons but we can certainly request the management of the bar when there is a situation like this. This is exactly
what we did upon learning your complaint.

Please rest assured and know that we will go above and beyond and do everything in our power to make it right and earn back your respect, trust and business.

I hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you.

Alka Amin

Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel is outdated, old and not well kept. The staff was not friendly or accommodating in any way. We go to Des Moines a lot and usually reserve 12-14 rooms- we will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Not good!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

hank you for sharing your comments. As a matter of fact, we have been diligently working to improve our hotel and so far we have introduced new beds, flat panel TVs and carpeting to just name a few. We have also improved our breakfast and introduced hot items such as waffles, biscuit and gravy.

Just like other hotels in town, we follow the same state and county regulations that states that no alcoholic beverages outside the guest room can be consumed. So in this case we tried to politely remind our guest that we will not allow alcohol consumption in the lobby or pool area. This comment is a result of that conversation between our guest and front desk agent.

We train our staff continuously and make sure they excel in our Service Promise,the culture that focuses on Guest Service, Housekeeping and Cleanliness.

Alka Amin

Reviewed May 10, 2012

First room didn't have a showerhead and the air conditioner made horrendous noises. Moved to another room. Toilet didn't flush. At 2 am, this was not what I had in mind.
In the morning, maids stood in the interior hallway outside my room and had conversations which resonated throughout the hallway, so was unable to sleep in as I'd hoped.
Comfortable bed. Average continental breakfast.
Night clerk was new, still working on being efficient, but very nice and accommodating. Don't think I would stay again. Too many other available properties in area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo