“Immense farmer's market with a festival atmosphere”

Downtown Farmers Market
Ranked #3 of 65 things to do in Des Moines
Seattle, Washington
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Immense farmer's market with a festival atmosphere”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We found ourselves in Iowa on a Saturday, a thousand or so miles from home, wondering what to do for the day. As usual, we checked TripAdvisor to see what others recommend and found the Downtown Farmer's Market. Now to me, a farmer's market is a group of ten vendors with some canned goods and maybe a craft or two. What we found was amazing. Blocks upon blocks of vendors of every type of item. I have to admit, we went a little spend-crazy at all of the fantastic selection. There were veggies and fruits, prepared foods, music on every street corner, it was a huge Iowan festival!

We first at breakfast -- a bowl with eggs, salsa and potatoes, good for carrying while you shop. We also tried to poffertjies, because we had never heard of these before. Yum! Then we wandered around, buying art and crafts and canned jellies and mustard, and Indian food for lunch, and whoopie pies, and a toddler train ride from a guy with a miniature tractor. I could go on and on -- we stayed until it closed! This was such a festive day, we came away with many positive memories of Des Moines and Iowans. If I find myself back in the area during their season, you can be sure I'll be back!

Visited October 2011
5 Thank taragl

Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Nice selection”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We attended the Des Moines farmers market for the first time on the 3rd weekend of September and we were pleasantly surprised at the size of the market. several blocks filled with food vendors, fresh food, arts and crafts and a few entertainers as well. Fun.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank SnowboundMN
Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Saturday Morning Activity”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

The Des Moines Downtown Farmer's Market features produce and food items grown & made locally. There are also handmade craft items like soap, pottery, etc to purchase. For those that like to cook, many ingredients can be bought here to take home for your feast. If you are not a chef, no problem. Many food vendors sell already prepared food to satisfy just about any craving you have. Egg rolls, perogies, breakfast pizza, homemade doughnuts are just a few of the items you will find. Don't forget to take home a bouquet of flowers to brighten your home! It's held every Saturday starting in May until the end of October from 7:00 to noon (pretty much in any weather).

Visited July 2011
1 Thank gover
Newton, IA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun Experience!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The Des Moines Farmer's Market is a great Saturday morning activity. It is very popular among locals, and visitors to the city. I would recommend trying the strawberry Poffertjes. These are mini pancakes with whipped topping and powdered sugar. The Chinese food from the "Rolling Wok" stand is also great! We really enjoy getting fresh fruits and vegetables here from local farmers.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank lizard148
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best things to do in Des moines!”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I absolutely love the farmers market. I look forward to april or may when it starts because I know then I'll be getting good food and produce in a great atmosphere.

1 Thank Missdisney121