“Wonderful art in a beautiful location”

Des Moines Art Center
Ranked #8 of 65 things to do in Des Moines
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This internationally acclaimed museum houses impressive works by artists of the 19th and 20th centuries, including Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keefe and Henri Matisse. The center, which also offers art classes, consists of three buildings, each designed by a celebrated architect: Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei and Richard Meier.
Seattle
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Wonderful art in a beautiful location”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Art Center in Des Moines is beautifully designed and the new wing is airy and spacious. We ate a very nice (and reasonably priced) lunch. Best of all, the art is of very high quality. Whoever is in charge of acquisitions has made some inspired choices. And folks on a budget will be happy to hear that there is no fee to enter. (Donation are happily accepted.)

Denver, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Pretty sweet!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

First of all I want to point out the Architecture of the Art Center. My wife is more into art than I am, but I have to say that the mix of Architecture and Art really kept me wanting to see more. Over all we love visiting this place from time to time and have not had any complaints yet.

Bayahibe, Dominican Republic
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“What a gem!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Wondered over (literally) on the advice of our BnB hosts across the street. What a lovely surprise! The Transparencies exhibit was amazing...I spent twenty minutes watching the spiders dance across the lighted chandelier! (Can't remember the artist's name...but, the docent was great!) I loved that the docents approached us and wanted to tell us about the pieces in their "room". This is a place that should be visited again and again to take it all that it offers...

West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A First Class Experience in Des Moines”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

For a smaller city, this museum seems to attract some extraordinary shows or special items. Spacious allowing for different types of art work, but never a sense of noise. Generally good parking available for this new-ish facility.

Visited November 2012
Iowa
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Jewel of the Midwest”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am never disappointed by a trip to the Des Moines Art Center. The current exposition on Transparencies is really very, very good...I just wish that the museum would sell a book or postcards as a souvenir of the visit. If you don't go with a notepad, it is sometimes hard to recall the names of artists to see more of their work or study the concept in depth.

And I have to say that it's my favorite place in the world to eat lunch...the soup of the day during our visit was a carrot bisque...such a beautiful presentation. The servers are charming, and the food is simple but intriguing...and delicious.