“Best Family Owned/Operated Restaurant in Des Moines”

Bianchi's Hilltop Lounge & Restaurant
Ranked #133 of 577 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Italian
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Best Family Owned/Operated Restaurant in Des Moines”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

If you're looking for a great family atmosphere filled with the classics that will please even the most fussy appetites, The Hilltop is your best bet in Des Moines. Nestled in working class neighborhood of Des Moines East Side, you'll find some of the best thin crust pizza with ample toppings you've ever tried. My personal favorite is the old school, delicious cavatelli. I just wish I could hold myself back from finishing this dish at the restaurant because I love the cavatelli the day after even better.
This is a family run restaurant with several members of the Bianchi family always on hand to serve you. Upon arrival, you'll know you're in good hands and you'll see the pride the Bianchis take in serving a quality meal and a reasonable price. This neighborhood gem is no secret in Des Moines, it's actually busy six nights a week. A bustling night crowd is always a good sign that something delicious is coming from the kitchen.
Bring a family or a group to the Hilltop and you'll be happy you did. This may be one of the most consistent and successful restaurants in Des Moines.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Joeknelson88

Des Moines, Iowa
“Changed up up UP!!!! :)”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Went here to eat last week with the hubby! Honestly, we hadn't been here in at least 8 years! It's under new ownership and has gone from fairly scurvy & dirty, with barely edible food to pretty darn incredible!! Hub had the baked lasagna, it looked fantastic and he said it was almost as good as mine! It came with a salad, the house parmesan is a must try, I tried plenty of his!! I ordered a simple pepperoni pizza, the crust was perfect, not too thin but thin enough, cooked evenly and perfectly, plenty of cheese and pepperoni and the sauce was perfect!! I can tell you I was super impressed! The restaurant itself has a nice open feel, with a full bar, very clean and simply decorated. The bathrooms are brand new and the women's was extremely clean and nicely decorated. I really feel that a clean rest room is a good reflection on the cleanliness of the kitchen. Our server was was super attentive without being annoying, answered all our questions and was just a wonderful girl! We will definitely be going back!!!

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Romy S
Des Moines, Iowa
“No frills - simple food - great service.”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was our first trip to Hilltop in spite of living less than 2 miles from it. It has a huge dining area which was quickly filling on Saturday evening. In spite of the crowd service was fast, attentive and courteous. I ordered a 10 oz. sirloin with salad and hash browns. I ordered my steak medium which is what I prefer and it arrived medium rare and in the interest of time I did not send it back. The steak was a tough cut and had it been cooked more it would have made hard going indeed. The hash browns were two rectangular slabs of an obviously frozen product. How hard is it to make fresh hash browns? My wife's cavatelli proved a better choice indicating that perhaps the Italian section of the menu receives more attention in the kitchen. This was also indicated by the fact that most of the diners observed in the room were ordering pizza. Prices were comparable to area and franchise steakhouses my steak dinner did not compare in quality.

• Visited March 2012