Motel 6 Des Moines North
$180
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$72
$164
Hampton.com
$109
Great 4.5/5
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$74
$129
$119
Good 3.5/5
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines(Des Moines)(Great Value!)
$59
Very Good 4/5
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
$199
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2014

First, the disadvantages: I have to note that it might be due to the lack of carpetting (possibly wheel-chair friendly), we felt the layer of moisture (from showers etc-possibly due to lack of proper ventilation despite the ventilation fan seemingly on) on the floor throughout our say. It was a little uncomfortable but that being said, there are probably worse things hiding in carpets. There was no shower curtains, so water splashed out from shower into other areas of the bathroom. wet, wet, wet all over. very little sink space to place stuff, i.e. toiletries, you just have to figure out a way somehow. Room itself on the smaller side, no microwave, mini fridge, hairdryer etc). Pillows are insufficient, flat, flat , flat. Pool chairs etc, cracked. Oh yes, the entry to this location is not directly accessible, (updated GPS directs you to the wrong location), you have to enter in through the Comfort Inn car park.

Advantages, relatively near iowa State Fair grounds. I THINK we were put into a room for people with special needs (special car park directly in front of room, hard floors (easy wheelchair access), wide bathroom door, spacious tiles bathroom floors, no shower curtains, railings etc). So in this case, whoever the room is catered to, these are worth considering. Bed was fairly comfortable enough. Flat screen Tv with cable. Free Internet was great/strong, even at the pool area. Water was clean in the pool though. Excellent in that aspect. Staff (night) was very friendly. Had the initiative to provide extra towels when seeing my kids. Lovely. All in all, was ok for visiting the Iowa State Fair over the weekend. Non-peak season would probably be cheaper.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This motel was nice & clean. There were only a couple of negatives. There was no Kleenex; I had to take my own in from the car. There was no carpeting. The shower was quite small (no tub). The handicapped bar made it even smaller. I am a quite small woman so a large person might not like this. But the water was nice & hot. There was no clock. I was surprised that there was both a microwave & refrigerator. There were no pictures on the walls & no decor. When I checked in, I did see security cameras around the property in operation. The clerk didn't have on a name tag but she was very nice. She assigned us a room on the 2nd floor & I asked if there was one available on the 1st floor. She said probably not but checked. She did find one & when we entered, it hadn't been made up (4:00 PM). They were working 2 doors down though. I went right back to her & told her. She personally walked just past where she had put us & found one that was ready. It smelled very strongly of disinfectant so that made me feel like it was nice & clean. The wi-fi worked okay. It was located along a busy interstate but the noise didn't keep me awake & I am a light sleeper. All in all, I felt it was a good value for the price. We were just passing though & were there for only 1 night. You just need to keep in mind that it is a Motel 6 after all so if you want more amenities, you need to keep driving & pay more money. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were late arriving (after midnite due to delays) and had some difficulty locating the Motel 6. You have to drive THROUGH the Comfort Inn's parking lot to get to Motel 6 -- that's the only access. The room was freshly refurbished - new paint and fixtures, new shower, new "fake wood" flooring. The room was clean, but there was a very strong odor of some cleaning product. We were traveling with a dog, so appreciated no carpeting. (There were lots of dogs when we were there.) Walls are thin and beds are not the greatest. Still, a clean, low-budget alternative and okay for a quick passing through overnight if you are willing to accept less than stellar accommodations and looking for pet friendly. Rated "Average" for low budget alternative.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north (away from the freeway) are quieter, but walls are thin and you can hear neighbors and plumbing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank geenyas
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our room was clean and quiet. The room rate was very reasonable and the room was very simple meaning there were not many amenities. I was told that amenities were available at the front desk upon request and that was the policy for all the Motel 6.

Room Tip: Not sure, my first stay.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

The bedding was not clean when we were there, and it was a rather uncomfortable night. No bathtub, just a shower, and there was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. Probably the smallest room I have ever been in, too.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brennan Y
shethl, Manager at Motel 6 Des Moines North, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014