“They are trying I think”

Motel 6 Des Moines North
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stay was a week long. Work on the road. Rate was reasonable, although less at the Days Inn and they give you a free breakfast. Had minor vandalism on to my car. ( Video is obvious and I never complained.) Clean room, free wifi, outside pool and seem to be nice people. Much better than the value place. ( Stayed there last time.)

Room Tip: would probably stay again, not everyone would. Good for us that work here a lot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am a seasoned Motel 6 Traveler so I know the drill. Nothin fancy as Tom bodett would say. But this is a franchise location, you pay your money and you get to use the name. This was a redesigned hotel, room looked great. Until i woke up and found about 15 or so bugs feasting on me- some so fat with my blood they couldn't move. I squashed a bunch of them just to keep them there till the management showed up. 3 days later I am in misery with welts all over my body, feet- back, wrists, chest and Forehead (nice). the manager blamed the transients, weekly renters etc.This sounds harsh but If you are going to take in Section 8 and homeless do not rent those rooms to overnight guests. Simple fact I paid full price for this room and will take 2-3 weeks to heal from these welts-provided none get infected

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Simon T
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel has just been remodeled so the room was bright and cheery. The bed was comfy and the gal who checked me in was quite personable. You get some road noise from I-80 but that's expected for the location. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our motel was the DM North Motel 6, another remodeled one. The TripAdvisor reviews were pretty mixed and our first room was on the front - facing the freeway - and it was way noisy. They moved us to the back of the same building and it made all the difference. Other than an odd, mysterious red purple stain on the bedside table, it was quite nice. Comfortable bed and very clean bathroom. Reuven, our dog, had an awful time with the floor - the new fake bamboo flooring is slippery. He'd try to jump on the bed and just do a belly flop.

Room Tip: Don't accept one on the freeway side, really.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this motel because of the location. I saw the pictures online and the rooms looked so nice and updated. I was in for a big surprise when I arrived! The lady at the front desk was very nice and got me checkied in quickly. I had requested a room with a bath tub but was given a room with only a shower, even though the pictures showed rooms with tubs. The security lock on our door was broke and it was obvious the door had been kicked in. There were stains all over the bedspread that were so bad I actually had to go to the front desk and request a replacement (which wasn't much better). THe bathroom door would not shut properly so you had to actually lift the door up and slam it to get it to shut. The shower was so tiny I could hardly take a shower in it, this is why I had requested a room with a tub. It was also filthy, as if someone had walked around in it with muddy shoes. I gad to buy bathroom cleaner and clean the shower before I could even use it. I was so disgusted with my stay I contacted Motel 6 corporate hoping for some resolution. I did receive a letter apologizing for the horrific conditions of the motel and a voucher for 1 night at another Motel 6. After the experience I had there I think this was a poor excuse for an apology and I doubt I will even use the free voucher.

Room Tip: Choose a different motel!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen K
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this motel 6 during a road trip. The room itself was clean with comfortable beds, a decent size TV and an ok shower. The bad thing about this motel was the "ghetto" ambiance. There were people lingering around in the evening, making us feel highly uncomfortable. We made sure to lock our doors and removed everything we could from the car as we werent sure if the car would still be there the next morning. Since those people kept us up all night, the car was still there in the morning. There was not a quiet second all night; there was plenty of yelling, screaming, loud laughing, music, door slamming and car revving all night to keep us up. At 5:30 am one of those people then even called my room phone, after which I called the front desk to complain. The clerk was very nice and said that he had called the police twice already but that they just kept coming back. We then packed our stuff and, at 6am, left the hotel. That was not worth $70. Tip to hotel management: kick those kind of people out. They hurt your business.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

but it's already showing its age.

When you book Motel 6 you're booking for price. You expect a small room and that's what you get. (One bed was up against a wall, the other up against the in-wall heater/air conditioner). I booked this Motel 6, rather than one of the other 3 in Des Moines, because it had been updated. But the shower floor looked dirty (closer inspection showed the surface coating was wearing off), the light fixture over the sink was missing a plexiglass cover (which I found sitting on top of the clothes rack and re-installed), the bathroom paint was peeling, and the floor covering was cracked in spots. The metal entry door was dented and poorly painted, as were all the others I saw. The inner chain lock had been moved.

My wife and son felt the hotel and the area were "sketchy".

On the plus side: the beds, though small, were comfortable enough; the television was adequate in size and channels, bed lighting was adequate for reading, and the cost was very low, especially for 3 adults. The clerk was very friendly, prompt, got me checked in quickly and put me in a room well removed from the road without my asking her to do so.

I'd stay here again if I was traveling alone and was only going to be there long enough to sleep and hit the road again, unless I found something even cheaper.

Room Tip: Wi-fi is provided, but once again one can't simply log into the router but must fire up a browse...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family