“Fine one night stay”

Motel 6 Des Moines North
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I needed a cheap room for one night to get some sleep before the Des Moines Marathon. We enjoyed watching football on the flat screen tv (network tv was in HD...cool!) and got lots of shut eye. There were some loud characters outside until about..... 4AM, but we were able to sleep well enough. No clock/radio was a bit surprising, but otherwise, it has the amenities you need and nothing you don't. I appreciated the updates, and would probably stay again for a quick overnight trip someday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the interstate, and see if they have extra pillows. The rooms only have tw...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rsolsem
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Des Moines North

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I'm no Motel 6 fan by any means. Stayed here because it was near fairgrounds, although it is a bit tricky to get there. The room was clean, furniture new, the place was completely remodeled although it looked like your typical motel 6 outside. Room was cleaned, towels replaced, trash removed , and bed made daily.

Towels are thin, no hair dryer, coffeemaker or clock, but a nice new flat screen TV. Some interesting characters staying there, but we had no problems. I was glad I had a friend in a room nearby, but agin, it's a Motel 6. Some grass for pet walking, not a lot. Very good steakhouse near by, walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank NebraskaPineknot
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Called Motel 6 Des Moines North location for a reservation on the 1st floor, nonsmoking and dog friendly. Was told this reservation would be no problem as long as we reserved the room with a credit card. Gave the person a credit card. Arrived and found out our room reservation was for the second floor. My husband is recovering from ankle surgery and cannot climb stairs well. Talked to the person behind the front desk and was told that a smoking room on the first floor was available. Asked about our original agreement and was told to take the smoking room on the first floor or leave immediately. If we didn't she would call the police. Won't mind so much if we didn't prepay. Isn't what Motel 6 did called bait and switch and isn't that illegal?

Room Tip: don't go here
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Big L
Reviewed September 10, 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had a wonderful stay during the Iowa State Fair at the Motel 6. Nice clean rooms with a wide selection of cable channels. 32" LCD TV was great for my kids to play their playstation games. Pool was very enjoyable

Room Tip: Request rooms on back side if you are sensitive to highway noise
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was passing through on a business trip, and looked for a hotel on a budget. I stayed at this motel 6, and was very satisfied. The room was very clean, the staff was helpful, the room was quiet and parking was abundant. I would absolutely stay again, if I ever came back to Iowa.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I were passing through Des Moines on a 3-week road trip to the west and stayed at the Des Moines North Motel 6. I was pleasantly surprised. This was the first Motel 6 I've ever stayed at, and since the reviews were positive, I wasn't a bit nervous about staying here. The motel has been remodeled, and we could smell fresh paint when walking in the room, and we liked the modern decor. One thing I would change is the regulation of the air conditioning. While it was a warm evening, I could not properly regulate the temp in our room, and I was cold most of the night. An extra blanket would have been nice, but there was not an extra one in the room. In addition, I found out in the morning that hairdryers ARE available upon request. That would have been nice to know. Also, no shampoo or conditioner available nor facial tissues. I guess that's what I get for using a budget motel. Overall though, we were very pleased with this motel and would definitely stay here again on a similar trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#32 of 48 in Des Moines
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Des Moines - Northwest

Been to Motel 6 Des Moines North? Share your experiences!