“Really good BBQ”
Review of Smokey D's BBQ

Smokey D's BBQ
Ranked #3 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: "Opened by award winning pitmasters, this restaurant just off I-80 on Des Moines' north side is a BBQ lovers dream and would be a real gem for travelers". New Smokey D's location. There are two others.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stopped here earlier this summer when we were at the neighboring Harley dealership. Wanted to grab lunch with my brother and it was close. Hubby had been there before and stated it was really pretty good. This isn't a fancy waiter type BBQ place - you get in line, place you order and then get your food. We sat at the bar and they have this great ice tray thing to keep your beer cold. Think frosty windows, but colder. Really genius whoever came up with that concept. Food was legit - and being from KC, we've had really good and really bad. Everything was done really quite well and we will certainly come back during our next trip to DM.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Thought we would try something new tonight and not PIZZA.
Nice place. Stand in line order at the counter, give u a number and they deliver you yer grub.
Fried pickles were good and there were plenty for the money and one person and I wasnt helping eat them.
Had a cucumber salad and pasta salad. Both were good.
I had what I thought were 5 bbq and 5 buffalo wings. Or so I thought. Not great. Famous Daves and Buffalo Wild Wings are both better. The bbq tasted more like the asian ones. Was not like any Russ and Franks bbq taste. Said on board menu...1lb but minimum of 10. Well I got 9. I did not need another either. Had plenty to eat anyway.
BBQ pork nachos. Ok. I make them at Zipps for us and I like mine and Dannas BBQ in Branson, MO. better. Not a fan of the runny cheese sauce that overpowered the taste of the whole platter. Big tomatoes. They give you a cup of jalapenos and sour cream to go with it. They squirt some BQ sauce on it also. Not much meat either. But it was good.
By the way. They use Russ and Franks bbq sauce which is the best. it is made in Des Moines, IA.
My not liking smoked meats had NO play in these decisions. Just am not a smoked meat fan. Specially heavy smoke meats.
Last I had the cherry pie dessert. The crust was not a flaky pie crust but tasted more like a sugar cookie crust. The topping was a flour, butter and sugar mixture like offering and the cherry was not pie filling but vary dry. seemed like it was plenty of flour or tapioca in it.
Spent $28.11 tonight for what we got and left full.
Nothing was horrible or un edible. Was tasty but just cuz we did not care for something does not mean it was bad.
Think overrall this is a good place to eat and will try something else next time.
Only BAD thing I will say is that not one person came around to our table to ask if all was ok or if we needed anything. Other than the young lads asking if if they could constantly take my basket I was putting my wing bones in. And then when we were done eating and sat at table while I typed this for 10 minutes, never saw them again as our mess sat in front of us on the table.
But please give Smokey Dss a try. They have not won all these awards for nothing.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had lunch at the busy hour with the wife and daughter. Their brisket sandwich was very good even without the addition a BBQ sauce. The daughter's chicken sliders met with her approval as well. This is one of those establishments where one orders, receives a number tag to place on their table and then waits for their order to arrive. Our order arrived much sooner than anticipated when reviewing the large crowd in the dining areas as well as in line to order. Will definitely go again.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Have eaten at several other smoke meat restaurants in the Des Moines Metro area, but Smokey D's is by far thee best one. The first time we walked in, I almost walked out. You have to order your food like a fast food place, but the place was fairly packed and while waiting in line to order, one notices all these plaques and ribbons on the wall and huge trophies sitting on the floor and shelves for their smoked meats. My expectations were high and my skepticism was through the roof. How can fast food smoked meat be any good? Folks, don't let that fast food counter fool you. This is the best damn BBQ place in Iowa. We have been here three times and have not been disappointed once. Their meat is, melt in your mouth divine, their sides are better than Mom makes. If you are not into smoked meat, their steak fingers and fried pickles are out of this world, also.
I drive by here on my way to work and the only time I have seen the parking lot empty is when they are closed.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I was in Des Moines Iowa for the day when some friends told me about this fantastic barbecue place. We agreed to go. The location was excellent just off the expressway. When you walk in your struck with the number of people standing in line for lunch. Additionally, there were a great number of trophies being awarded for the great barbecue. Not perhaps because I decided to go healthy and order smoked turkey it did not knock me off my feet, but I am used to Southern barbecue. I especially love Jack's barbecue in Nashville. I was not knocked off my feet. It was good, but not outstanding. I certainly would not go out of my way to return although perhaps next time I should order some pulled pork and see how it compares. However, for the frigid north, not bad.