“Great BBQ - without all the messy BBQ sauce”
Review of Smokey D's BBQ

Smokey D's BBQ
Ranked #1 of 577 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: "Opened by award winning pitmasters, this restaurant just off I-80 on Des Moines' north side is a BBQ lovers dream and would be a real gem for travelers". New Smokey D's location. There are two others.
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great BBQ - without all the messy BBQ sauce”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you want BBQ made with a rub, instead of all the BBQ sauce...this is your place. Of course if you are part of the 85% population that likes the BBQ sauce, they have that too.

Awesome fried pickle chips - yep I said FRIED PICKLE CHIPS and mac & cheese

Try it and you will love it

• Visited July 2013

Canton, mo
“WOW... EXCELLENT!!!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First time visit... love this place. The ribs are great... you don't even need bbq sauce they taste so good. I also recommend the Mac and Cheese. Wonderful experience.

Visited July 2013
Ocala, Florida
“BBQ to Comfort Food”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Get off the Interstate and get on in to Smokey D's for some of the best BBQ that you will wrap your lips around. The owners not only lay some great BBQ on you, but offer a different version of some down home comfort food each week day. Thursday is smoked chicken and greens. If you doubt this post, all you have to do is stop in and take a look at all of the accolades they have earned throughout the nation from the BBQ community. This is truly one of the country's great BBQ joints!

Visited July 2013
Newton, Iowa
“Worth the waiting in line - best BBQ in town!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I came here for supper on Father's Day, as our first choice was packed beyond words. Not wanting to wait, we opted for this restaurant...and I am SO GLAD we did! Upon entering the establishment, one is at a loss as to what to do, but we just got in line with the rest of the folks. While inching our way forward, we noticed all of the awards hanging on the walls and the huge trophies sitting on the floor. Obviously this place was good at something! Reading some of the awards, the bar had been raised, you might say! My husband had the ribs & brisket while I opted for the 2-meat dinner (pulled pork and turkey). After finding a place to sit at one of the high tables, it was within a few, very short minutes that our meals arrived. With my 14+ years of cook experience, presentation is very important to me - and while our food arrived in baskets, similar to what you would expect at a drive-in style place, it looked AWESOME and wasn't just thrown together! Sampling the different meats with the different sauces was FUN and its amazing as to which sauce tastes better with which meat. As for our sides of choice - I had the cucumber/onion slaw and my husband had the baked beans (I can't remember what else we got) - but even those were amazingly good! Trust me, I'd gladly go back again! And for those in the area, with time to spare, and if you like antiques, I highly recommend The Majestic Lion...right across the street!

• Visited June 2013
Des Moines, IA
“Some of the best BBQ in the city!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I really liked the burnt ends sandwich. The ribs I sampled from a friend were really really good too.

Visited January 2013