“Relaxed, good eats”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Iowa City, Iowa
“Relaxed, good eats”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Funky names for all their dishes makes the menu a lot of fun to read through. There are many burgers with all sorts of combination foods; bacon, different types of cheese, etc. We also had the fries basket for three of us to share, and it was the perfect size. Seating is indoors or outdoors, so enjoy yourself

Visited July 2013

Lincoln, Nebraska
“Fun concept, scary food”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

While driving through Iowa, we found this highly rated restaurant. We checked out the menu and reviews while driving on the interstate and tried to call in an order to pick up (as we were in a hurry and didnt intend to waste time in a restaurant during our trip). They don't allow call-ins but we went anyways to order in person. The place seemed cool, hip, eccentric and well thought out. We were psyched and starving!
Once we got back on the interstate, we started to eat. I took a bite of my burger and a TON on cheese came oozing out of the breaded fried-disk-looking UFO thing inside my burg. It was exciting yet confusing. I 86'd it. (I figured the cheese UFO had to be at least 800 calories that i didnt need). My husband got the trailer trash burger and didn't finish 1/2 of it. (He usually eats 2 "good" burgers at a sitting). He said it was bad.. Didn't specify as we were still in awe and talking about the oozing cheese thing sitting next to us.
Fast forward 5 hours. We finally arrived at our vacation destination- we settle into bed and it hit me- the revenge of the zombie burger. I ran to the bathroom and had to make a split second decision on if I had to vomit first or sit down. I was sick...very sick! I hate to point fingers and don't know 100% if it was the burger but I won't be returning to experience this undead joint again!

“...It was fine.”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

So; I'm the party pooper that thinks the whole zombie trend is stupid. But my 4 y-o son enjoys it and kept asking to go here.
I found it to be average. Ordering was annoying as the kids meals did not seem to be on the menu (I ordered from the counter service side.) When I ordered chicken strips, the cashier offered a kids size, but I assumed it didn't have fries. So I got the "fry basket" thinking we'd have to share- and wound up with way too many fries. ...And those fries sucked. I'd like to think I got them on an off day, but judging from pics from other reviews, those are the fries they serve. Over cooked yet soggy. Like maybe they just re-warm the same batch all day.
The burger was average. I got the #3- "28 Days Later." (thankfully you don't have to say the ridiculous names they give the burgers), which has blue cheese, but I barely detected it. I paid the extra $1 for bacon, and it was worth it- very generous serving.
All in all, in order for me to get over the lameness of the theme, the food would have to be pretty good. And I didn't find it to be so.
A word of warning- as much as my son loves zombie stuff, he didn't enjoy the re-worked Toy Story 2 poster that made the characters look like zombies. It might be too scary for some really young kids!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Worth a visit, but just once”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Some people on the plane into Des Moines were singing the praises of this place - how great the burgers were, etc. Actually, once you get past the novelty, the burgers were pretty awful. Small, thin, dry patties. Average quality toppings. The Walking Ched - a burger with a deep-fried mac/cheese "bun" - was disappointing; the mac/cheese was rather Kraft-like. The Loaded Fry Basket was tasty and huge, but the fries were soggy. The "28 Days Later" burger sounded really good - blue cheese, carmelized onions, lettuce, tomato - but there was negligible amounts of blue cheese, the onions were sauteed but not really carmelized, tomato was nothing special, and the lettuce was iceberg. We didn't try the spiked milkshakes - had enough cholesterol and fat with the fries and mac/cheese - but they sounded good. We did not leave hungry!

• Visited July 2013
“Clever theme, poor food.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I've been here several times and I'm constantly stunned by the amount of people that think this restaurant is good. The burgers are bone dry, the buns are dense and lack any kind of crispness. While they try hard with unique toppings, they just don't make up for a fundamentally poor product.

Perhaps the worst part of this restaurant is the fact that the Chef at this restaurant is capable of making excellent food at his other restaurants.

1 Thank George Q