“It Did What it Needed To”

Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I attended a wedding in Downtown Des Moines and booked here because we got a rather good deal through Orbitz. I am familiar with West Des Moines and knew it to be a safe area with decent things to do near by (brewery, book store, etc). The location was nice, but the hotel is very dated. We booked one of the larger corner rooms ($6 extra) and while the room was incredibly spacious, it smelled a lot like carpet cleaner upon walking in. We really like that the room featured a decent sized refridgerator, as well as a coffee maker and microwave. The TV was a nice flatscreen, and the air conditioner worker superb. The lighting was a bit on the dim side, and being on the first floor - it felt a little like being in someone's basement. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls as well, but in all honesty it wasn't that bothersome. I would suggest bringing your own toiletries as the ones in the bathroom have a very generic soap smell. The hot tub was out of commission all weekend (due to a PH balence problem?) and when I asked on the first night if it would be fixed soon I was assured it would - but nothing came of it. The employees, while not rude, were not incredibly friendly either and weren't the best at speaking english/understanding my questions. We gazed upon the complimentary breakfast, but weren't too impressed. HOWEVER, for the rate we payed and the spacious room we got, I would not call this a bad deal - I would just be inclined to try something different next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines

Reviewed December 27, 2009

The hotel did their best but we were with the AAU track team who was completely out of control and incredibly rude...difficult to get breakfast and snacks so we ended up dining out. Kudos to ADAM, he really made an effort and if not for that horrific team I think it would be have perfect

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2009

The best thing about the hotel was the very pleasant and helpful staff. The have a tough task overcoming some basic problems that come from trying to run a modern hotel in a building made in the late 60's/early 70's as a budget hotel. For example, the breakfast are was a room designed as a faux living room before there was such a thing as breakfast included. As a result it is a very cramped area which they try to do their best to accomodate. Eat early or late!

We chuckled at the interior wallpaper, which looked like it was put up by some college kids over the summer. Nice seams!

The room I had was very clean so there is excellent housekeeping. The TV was what I would call 'vintage' . Bed was adequate. Heating was fine. It does have a microwave and mini-fridge if that matters.

Bottom line, if you can get a cheap rate here compared to a Country Inn or such place then don't hesitate to take it. If it's the same price stay at one of the others.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Chief58
super885, Manager at Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Hotel have been completely remodeled in 2011. Please come back to experience our new rooms.Thank You.

Reviewed August 22, 2008

We came in late one night during the Iowa State Fair and were greeted by a very friendly desk clerk who quickly booked us the honeymoon suite. It was very nice and clean - including the 5 person whirlpool and the additional living area. Not only was everything neat, comfortable, and more than we expected, but it was the same price we would've paid for a double room at the Sheraton. We definitely plan on staying again!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a week. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room (#210) was very clean. True, this hotel is still in the 80's, decor wise, but it was really clean, quiet, and the bed was wonderful...so was the water pressure in the shower. Nice tv. I got to look in several of the rooms and they all looked good. Our bathroom looked like it was just redone. Located in a desireable neighborhood, within walking distance of several restaurants, and close to everything. Breakfast was as good as the Hampton and the cookies and popcorn every evening was a nice touch. The towels were better than I expected. They were very soft, and plentiful. I wish they had an elevator here, as we are seniors, and had to walk up and down the stairs with luggage. I didn't think to ask for a ground floor room. For the value, this motel is great.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bamababyboomer
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Very friendly staff. Convenient location close to restaurants. Waffle maker at the breakfast bar was a very nice touch. Clean.

Reviewed January 2, 2008

The first non smoking room reeked of smoke, so we changed rooms. The second room was very outdated with a big ol' fashion recliner in the corner. THe air filters needed to be changed as everything seems to be extremely dusty. BOth my fiancee and I were sick after staying there, so I don't think things wer disinfected between guests. The carpets need to be replaced. The place is just plain run down. On a positive note.... the front desk staff was friendly and as helpful as they could be.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Des Moines
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#27 of 48 in Des Moines

Been to Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines? Share your experiences!